Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A softer seat for FishCat?
Man, my butt got sore and uncomfortable after about 2-3 hours in my FishCat (the blue and black one.) with the thick foam seat insert. I know they make an inflatable seat cushion that inserts into the seat slot, but it is like $50 bucks plus! Has anyone figured out a cheaper comfortable cushion for this tube? Gotta be a better way..
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]I also get "TB"(tired butt) from sitting too long on a hard flat surface. I have tried putting an inflatable stadium cushion on the seat, using pieces of 3" or 4" foam pad, etc. Anything helps.

But, you might also want to cut down a contour bottom PVC lawn chair...or use the molded contour plastic seats from an office or school chair. You can find them cheap at yard sales or at used furniture places. Just be sure to Dremel down all the rough edges and you may need to work on it to get it to ride right. See the pics.

One of the benefits of having a chair seat is that you also get better back support.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
A cut down Lawn Chair can be a great alternative.
I have the padded plastic molded seat on one of my boats which is nice, but I prefer the cloth seat.
A lot of the new cloth seats offer "Memory Foam". Something I am a big fan of.
Maybe a cushion and make it waterproof with a bag

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10105194?wmlsp...la&veh=sem
[signature]
I use a 1.5" high density foam cushion on my ODCs cut from an old pool float. It was free, weighs about 1#, doesn't absorb water, puddle, or compress in the butt area over time. You can customize it to your soreness area. In my case, I did a cut out at the tail bone area to relieve pressure there, like you see on some bike seat designs. It is held firmly in place by a rope that goes around the seat back and can be quickly slipped on and off the seat back, if needed.

I also like TD's plastic armchair solution in particular, as having arm rests allows you to lean on them for support, put less weight on your bottom, and periodically lift up and shift around for adjusting garment stretch comfort. The only downside for me is that it doesn't pack down small, for my types of outings....

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote fishmaker]Man, my butt got sore and uncomfortable after about 2-3 hours in my FishCat (the blue and black one.) with the thick foam seat insert. I know they make an inflatable seat cushion that inserts into the seat slot, but it is like $50 bucks plus! Has anyone figured out a cheaper comfortable cushion for this tube? Gotta be a better way..[/quote]
[signature]
You did create an image in my head. How about cutting those pool noodles the size of the width of the seat then strapping several of them together like making a raft.
The ridges can be comfortable.
[signature]
I have to second the idea TD gave. Mamatrout (my wife) has an FC4 and wanted a change of seats as well. I picked up a plastic lawn chair and cut the legs off. She loves how it feels. I also used one of TD's tricks and added a neck/head rest as well using 2 inch PVC and pool noodles. She loved the idea. Again I gotta thank TD for the ideas![cool]

Here is a link to the pic.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Float...t_id=54496
[signature]