I bet this was quite a fight.
http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/news/weird-...44441.html
[signature]
I wonder how it compares to a sturgeon? Ron
[signature]
Pshhhh ive caught bigger ones our of a bucket. [laugh]
[signature]
[quote idahoron]I wonder how it compares to a sturgeon? Ron[/quote]

I haven't ever caught a sturgeon, but I'd guess they must be strong. I just found another story on BBC about one of what appears to be the same species, a few pounds lighter - 108 pounds - that dragged the fisherman into the lake, "An angler caught a giant catfish after a two-hour battle during which he was dragged neck-deep into a lake."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lei...e-22886506
[signature]
That is Horse crap. He went into the lake but the fish didn't drag him. Sturgeon are a lot bigger and stronger. They don't drag bank fishermen into the water. Ron
[signature]
I'm with Ron on this one. I've fought a sturgeon for an hour and never felt worried about being pulled in. And I promise the fish was bigger than me, not the other way around like the kid in the UK Lols.
[signature]
Having lived in England for 4 years and observed how they fish over there, this fisherman might well have been pulled in- or waded in to keep the fish from breaking off. They typically fish with VERY light line on extremely long- 18 ft rods and tiny hooks. The Brit fisherman simply has no concept of a catfish or bass rod with 20 pound test line. It's bizarre to watch a fishing tournament take place; your spot on the river is pulled from a hat or bucket and they fish the assigned spot for the entire day, keeping and recording every fish they catch for weigh-in at the end of the day. There's no getting up and moving to a better spot, whereever you drew a spot, that's where you fish.
[signature]
It said he was dragged. I call BS to that no matter how they try to play it. That is a huge catfish but it isn't "dragging" anyone into the water. Ron
[signature]
This thread made me search youtube for fishermen dragged into water. There were some plausible videos of marlin or other sea creatures getting a guy on a pitching slick deck to fall over, but I couldn't find anybody leaving the bank because a fish dragged him there.
[signature]
I am with you. A black marlin could do it, Or a large shark. I had a 7 foot long plus halibut on that I never once thought I was going over the edge. Ron
[signature]
I once hooked way too big a shark in a tidal river back east. He pulled HARD and fast and I never even had the thought I would go in. I was more worried about trying to bank him if I won. Luckily he made a run and went up on a mud bar about 2' deep out in the middle. Water and mud sprayed, fins and tail were thrashing, and I was all alone and scared. Then the 85 lb test broke and all went quiet again except for my heart.
[signature]
Did you get that 7 foot halibut in to measure? Cause a 7 footer is pushing 350 pounds!!
[signature]
YA we did and he said she was going to go 300 to 350 pounds. I caught it on my last day in Alaska in 2009. The captain of the boat told us we were maxed out on the amount of fish we were taking home. We all had 100 pounds of fish to take home. Our group was nine people! Anyway the Captain asked me to release her. I agreed and he gave me a free fishing day to use on a future trip. He died to years later but i was happy with the release. Like he said we were going to have to give it away and when I got home the bugger ones were not as good to eat. Ron
[signature]
In 96 four of us went out and one guy caught a 214 pounder. That was a chore dragging it over the stern. A 300 would be huge. The same guy also caught a 135 and he was completely worn out. I was proud of my 3rd place 85 until I got the pictures of it hanging next to those other two.
[signature]
I laugh when someone says they were almost drug into the water by a fish.

Offshore marlin, bouncing around in the swells... you could probably get drug in. Getting your foot or ankle caught in the anchor line when you throw the anchor over? Yep. Drinking too many beers and thinking you're that awesome at running down a dock? Sure. Fighting a fish with a rod, reel, and drag? No way.

Oh hey look, I caught a big fish the other day, and it didn't drag me in the water [cool]

[Image: sturg0610.jpg]
[signature]
That is awesome!! Those big hens should all be released. The best eating halibut are 100 lbs and under. As a guide it always made me kinda Sad to see all the eggs that those monsters would not be able to lay. [:/]

Nice work on putting her back! The biggest I ever brought in for a client was pushing just over 200 pounds and was over 6 ft long.
[signature]
I had a 10000000000000000 pound perch drag me into the bath tub once the dang thing ran for miles before I went in. I landed him though and held him high with my one arm. From the bottom of the tub. Oh yeah big fish time.
[signature]