Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooking Wiper help
Hey everyone I usually don't keep the wipers but this one didn't get his strength back so I kept him. I talked to a few guys Saturday about the red line down the side of the wipers, do I just cut that out and cook it how I cook my walleye? I bleed him out and still has that line, any suggestions?
[signature]
Slayer,

I have found that after filleting and skinning, best results for us are: Trimming off all red material off the wiper fillets, including making a cut into the filet where there is a red seam and getting it all out/off the fillet.

Secondly, trim off the skiff of grey oily fat off of the surface of the fillet (the material between the skin and the fillet).
[signature]
Thanks for the info, I think I'll cook him up tonight and see how I like it. I am more of a catch and release kind of fisherman but I'll try something ounce.
[signature]
Once*** sorry dang phone and its auto word choice.
[signature]
Sprinkle with some lemon pepper then pan sear in butter, or pan sear in lemon thyme.

Serve over rice with side of fresh green beans.
[signature]
Fillet just like a walleye. No bleeding necessary. Remove the lateral line of red from the fillets, and trim off all dark colored flesh (if you want to) and belly fat. Cut into 1" chunks, coat with Zatarains Fish Fri, and fry in hot oil. Use a little Heinz 57 or BBQ sauce as a dipper for the fish nuggets. Wiper is delicious! Taste very similar to walleye.
[signature]
Definitely bleed the fish if possible. Fillet and remove the red meat. This usually will remove the strong fishy flavor. If you want an even less fishy flavor, just before you prepare them for the fryer or oven, rub a SMALL amount of plain yellow prepared mustard on the fillets, then dredge in flour prior to eggwash or oven seasoning. This will magically remove even the fishiest taste from the meat. It also works with bullheads and striper.
Someone else can try it on carp and get back to me if it works. [Wink]
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]You have your opinion and I have mine. Pop a top, pop a gill.[/font]
[signature]
No need to bleed, just fillet when you get home and make sure that ALL red meat is trimmed off immediately. As long as all red meat is gone it will be even better than walleye! Red meat on.......oh boy..........the fishiest liverlike concoction you've ever tasted lol. It's not the wiper per se, it's emanating from gizzard shad oils stored by the wiper as they feast. I've never removed the red meat from walleye ever, I even think it's delicious and has excellent walleye flavor......but willard bay's shad eating walleye........that red muscle has to go! LOL. Those shad are the fishiest of fish and when good game fish eat them.........you get residues. LOL
[signature]
I noticed the same thing yesterday with the wipers I got, big bloodline down the back on the skin side, but just trim it off like everybody said and your good to go, its very mild with meaty chunks off those wipers.
I also noticed it on the bigger eyes too but it doesent seem to be as dark or prolific as the wipers.

cut em into 1 inch chunks and flour egg and roll them in crushed up cornflake cereal then fry golden, cant go wrong with that.
[signature]