Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best four stroke kicker motors?
I am at a point where I would like to purchase a four stroke kicker motor. Probably a 9.9, my 5 two stroke trolls me along just fine but wouldn't mind having the 9.9 (weigh in with your opinions) as an emergency motor in case something happened to the primary motor. I would love to be able to have a throttle control installed as well. Any suggestions as far as brand, where to buy, how much I can expect to pay or other suggestions would be appreciated.
[signature]
I'm glad you brought up this subject, I'm also in the market for a 9.9 kicker but more because I'm looking for a kicker that has electric start, than any other reason. Are you looking for a new motor or used? KSL, is where I have been looking and several friends have bought them there in the last few years. The last one had a remote start and control. New, I have seen one for sale for $3,500, used about $1,700 to $2,200 depending on the brand. Mercury is the most common but Honda and Yamaha make the best ones imo.
[signature]
I'm looking for a deal, used or new. If it has electric start make sure it has a backup pull chord. I was floating down a reservoir with a buddy with dead batteries. No way to get it started since it didn't have a pull chord.
[signature]
I always thought small motors were built with backup pull cords. Do you remember what size the motor was?
[signature]
9.9 mercury.
[signature]
Wow, that is surprising, I thought the pull rope was located under the cowling. I guess I had better keep that in mind as I look for motors.
[signature]
We were pretty shocked when the batteries were dead and it wasn't there when we looked. I didn't know anyone wouldn't have a pull start on a kicker motor.
[signature]
Here is a link to a 15 hp on KSL that I just found, it might be too big and I doubt it has a remote start but the ad does not say, might have to call to get more info:
[url "http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=25608957&cat=147&lpid=9&search=&ad_cid=2"]http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=25608957&cat=147&lpid=9&search=&ad_cid=2[/url]
[signature]
Seeing how Nissan, Mercury and Tohatsu motors are all made in the same plant narrows the search. We have a new (meaning it was run twice, ever) older Honda 9.9 that is actually a 15hp, but we are limited to mechanics. So that is something to consider.
I will recommend Walton Marines on 5th east and about 3000 south. Great guy.
[signature]
The way I understand it the 9.9 Yamaha is the same motor as the 15 HP. The Carburetor is the only change. I was thinking it was a jetting issue. Ron
[signature]
I read that of the Yamaha as well, which I wasn't aware of because I don't own one. I just read somewhere that this older (like 25 years or more) is marked 9.9 but with a small change like a throttle screw or something, it is a 15 hp.
[signature]
Ya something like that. A friend of mine has a 15 hp Yamaha. He wants to replace the water pump impeller. I was looking into it for him to see how hard it is. That is when I found out the Yamaha's are the same. Ron
[signature]
Thanks, that looks like a two strike to me. 15 is to big I think.
[signature]
That's good information. Thanks
[signature]
I really like the Merc Big Foot or Honda's for kicker motors. I have a 8hp 4stroke Honda and love it. Starts on the first of second pull every time. Runs like a top. My friend has one with the electronic throttle control and it is awesome. When you are trolling you can hit the idle button and the motor goes down to idle while you fight the fish. When done, you just click the troll button and it comes back up the the same RPM. Beat the crap out of trying to adjust the speed by turning the handle like I have to do. I want to get one of those. It works by controlling the motor's RPM's.
[signature]
That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. The features on your friends motor is what I would like. Is his a Honda as well? I've had several people tell me to go with the Honda over the Merc, I fish almost exclusively at the Gorge and troll a lot. The 8 hp would be sufficient I think. I have an 18.5 glass boat which a 5hp 2 stroke trolls fine. I was thinking bigger simply because of how knarly that lake can become fast and if I had a primary motor issue I'd have my work cut out for me with a 5 hp motor.
[signature]
I too am trying to decide what to buy. I spend a lot of time at Strawberry & Flaming Gorge and need to push a 19' Lund.

I have researched this a lot and the Merc 9.9 pro kicker has some nice advantages. It has integrated power tilt and a heavy duty transom bracket to protect it when running at high speeds. It also has electric start and self centering straps when stowed to keep it tied down. It comes with the same lower unit as the bigfoot and is geared lower with a 4 blade, low pitch prop for maximum traction & thrust.

I am comparing this to the 6hp Merc. The 6 is a lot less money but lacks all of those features. I am trying to decide if they are worth it. I am probably going to stay with Merc just because my main motor is a 175 Verado and like the idea of an all Merc setup.
[signature]
My friend's kicker is a Yamaha with the Trollmaster Pro Digital. The other ones (throttle controllers) just have a rheostat type control. His shows the RPM's on a little screen. If it was to get one this would be it. They make them for just about all 4 stroke motor models. I haven't seen one for a 2 stroke kicker motor, but they may be out there. He also uses the new model Remote Troll wireless to steer his kicker. On my boat I use a bar that connects my main motor to my kicker and I steer with my regular steering wheel which is handy. If I didn't have this set up, I'd have the Remote Troll too. By the way I have another friend that has the Panther Remote Steering unit for his kicker and he HATES the damn thing. Remote Trolls are made right here in Logan, UT and they are great. The older models with the cables were a bit of a problem when it iced up (easy to do at Bear Lake in January), but the new models use a piston set up that won't ice up.
Good luck. Lots of options on all these "toys" to choose from. But when you spend $1500-$2000 on a kicker motor (new) another $250 for the throttle is nothing...right??? LOL
[signature]