Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for an oar, Any ideas?
Long story short, My nephew was joining me on an outing with our pontoon boats. I was leaving earlier taking my boat on my trailer and he asked if I could take his boat as well because he was taking a car. This would mean he could leave his boat assembled rather than taking it all down to fit inside his trunk. I agreed and loaded his boat on top of mine then strapped them to the trailer. I placed his oars under the boats but on top our other gear and wedged them in pretty tight. I was confident they were secure

I was wrong. When I arrived at the destination, one of his oars was missing. Aside from ruining our outing, now I need to replace his oar and oar lock. Most outlets offer the oars in pairs. The oar I need to replace is the basic 6 foot 2 piece oar (#801) from The Creek Company at $39.99 and the oar lock that bolts around the oar shaft (#825) priced at $12.99, then add the shipping charges to that total.

My intentions were honorable as I tried to help save him some time by taking his gear with me, but due to my negligence, I am compelled to replace the oar. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions to offer where I might pick up this oar and oar lock at a lower cost? I appreciate your ideas. Otherwise this lesson is gonna cost me more than $60.

Appreciated.
[signature]
The oar lock is the best price I have personally seen. I have purchased oars like this from cabelas bargain cave then I bought Carlisle oar locks. I found the creek company oars are smaller diameter so I picked up a small piece of rubber gasket material and used this as a filler type material between the oar and oarlock to tighten things up. Last oar I got to replace one that I lost a couple months ago was $35. So that's my story hope it helps.
[signature]
Right now Creek Co is offering 20% off, until tomorrow night.

[size 5]20% OFF EVERYTHING! [/size]
[size 5]Hurry only 3 days left! Sale ends Sunday[/size]
[size 5]night at midnight, 6/23/13![/size]
Please use Promo Code: [size 4]customer20[/size] at check out to receive 20% off your entire order! Hurry! Promo Code Expires 6/23/13! Click on any image to go to [url "http://cts.vresp.com/c/?TheCreekCompany/d61ae8688a/835d09240b/9fcd0a31c5"]www.creekcompany.com[/url] and use your promo code today! Only 3 days left!
[signature]
Dang nice deal.[Smile]
[signature]
I know about the 20% off sale at The Creek Company. I have until tomorrow night at midnight to place the order. I guess I'm just seething that I didn't take the few minutes longer to strap them in, LOL. Anyway, If anyone knows of a better deal please let me know. Otherwise I'll place the order through The Creek Company tomorrow evening.
[signature]
I feel your pain. I lost the oar between NSL, ut and yuba state park. Then I didn't see it on the way home and had to buy a new one. I now check my trailer a whole lot closer before each trip.[:/]
[signature]
Same here, but I have a plan to prevent this from happening again. Let me see if I can describe my idea. The bed of my trailer is 4 feet wide. I can cut a couple of 3 foot pieces from a 2" X 4". Then, using a hole saw just slightly larger in diameter than the oar shafts on the oars I normally transport, bore 2 holes each in in the 2" X 4"s. Next, I will rip the 2" X 4"s lengthwise on my table saw, through the holes. I can attach a hinge on one end and a latch at the other end of each 2" X 4" so they can be opened to place the oars into the half circles on the bottom piece, then close the top piece back into position over the oars and latch the two halves back in place. This should secure the oars and prevent me from losing one in the future. The oar blades will not fit through the holes and the oar handles won't fit either so there is no way they can slide through. Also, the oar locks themselves attached to the oar shafts would be inside the rack ends preventing the oars from sliding out. Maybe even some inner-tube rubber attached to the curved cut-outs to grip the oar shafts would be a good thing to add. I have been thinking about this (obviously). It completely ruined out fishing trip and I don't want to repeat that. If I do this I'll add a picture of the finished set up. I need to measure my oar shaft diameters and see what hole saws I have. I may need to get one or two more.
[signature]
Interesting idea. This is what I have done. My toon trailer is a 4' x 8' haul mark with a plywood bed. I took two sets of tie down rings and attached them to the bed. I then tie down my oars with camping cam straps. They are very secure. Since my trailer hauls 2 toons I tie down two sets of oars.

Here's a pic of my trailer. The oars fit right down the center.
[signature]
Interesting set up. Looks like the same trailer Harbor Freight sells featuring a folding bed. I have that same trailer only I have no need to fold it so I assembled it with a solid 8 X 4 sheet of plywood as the bed and took out any of the folding hardware bolting it as a solid frame. I don't see the oars in your picture. I assume they are centered between the pontoons on the bottom boat maybe? I like it. I haven't been as elaborate with mine. My son's pontoon boat fits neatly inside my oar mounts on the frame and my wife's fits just as neatly inside the oar riser framing on my son's boat. So when we are all going fishing together, I just stack them up in that order and secure them to the trailer frame with a ratchet strap or two. Normally there are only 2 boats going but any additional gear we don't have in the SUV is tucked in between the pontoons. I like your framing set up. It separates the boats. If you have a picture that places more of a focus on the oars secured in position to travel I would like to see it.
[signature]
You are right it is a harbor freight trailer. I do have more pics but they are at home and I am in another state until late tomorrow night. I will send you a copy when I get home.
[signature]
Thanks Albinotrout. Take your time and when it is convenient for you. I'm not in any rush, but I would like to see how you secure the oars. I'm thinking now about how I might modify my trailer. I uave side rails made from 2" x 6"s and 2" x 4"s. The 2" x 4"s fit down into the stake holders and I use the trailer as my general utility trailer hauling whatever needs hauling. I'll need to put my boat on the trailer and do a little measuring to see if I can design a rack similar to yours and still incorporate the 2" X 4"s to fit in the stake holders. Then I could lift the pontoon rack out when I am using the trailer to haul something else. If not, who needs a stupid utility trailer anyway. My son is close by and he has a pick up with an 8 foot bed, LOL.
[signature]
I found my original post when I built it. Here is the pic with both sets of oars.
[signature]
OK, I see what you did. Sometimes I just need a good visual to get the point. I like the use of the "D" rings and strap. Especially in my case where I would like to keep the trailer free to use for utility purposes as well. The strap comes off and the "D" rings wouldn't be in the way of other cargo. I'll have to give that a little thought but right now I like your idea better.
[signature]
Thanks, it's also cheap to do as well. And as you mentioned it keeps the trailer for other uses as necessary. I also added rings to tie down deep cycle batteries for electric motors as well.
[signature]