Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to launch a yak at Utah Lake? Willard Bay?
I want to go to one or the other this evening, not sure which yet. What are good (preferably free) launches at each? Thanks for any intel
[signature]
[#0000FF]No free launches at Willard, unless you drive around the south perimeter road and carry your yak up over the rock dikes. The only launch ramp open at present is the south marina...and it is often a zoo with all the boat traffic at the one launch location.

Several free launches at Utah Lake. Most of the harbors are fee based...except for Saratoga Springs Harbor at Pelican Bay. Only vehicles with trailers are charged. Carry it in your pickup or with a cartop rack and you pay no fee.

Lincoln Beach is a Utah County Park and allows boats to launch from the ramp with no fee.

There are other free launch sites around Utah Lake that require a short hike from the parking area to where you want to launch. Hope the attached file helps.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
download the ack.com app, lauch points. I have added a few of my favorites in there.
[signature]
Not sure why you want to launch a yak, but you might see a few yaks over on the rock pile at Utah lake [sly] good luck
[signature]
I launch my kayak at regular "boat" launches for many reasons. No mud, no sand, not slippery or dangerous (rocks), ease of parking, facilities (restrooms, etc). Kayakers have as much right to use a boat ramp as do people in 40' cabin cruisers (especially if we have to pay the same fee). This was a sticky subject back in Virginia. People sometimes become frustrated with the fact we get to use the same facilities as them even though our boat may cost 1/40th of their "boat".

That being said I have drug my boat through the woods, hundreds of yards across mud flats, beaches, and much more just to reach that one fishy-looking hole...
[signature]
[#0000FF]Lots of us tubers, tooners and yakkers in Utah that make regular use of the boat launch facilities. If we time it right (to avoid most of the power squadron) there are few problems. But when we try to launch at prime time...or take out with all the boat trailers lining up on the ramp...it can get "interesting". By and large we don't get much flak from the boaters and there are no regulations against "small craft" launching from the ramps. Just observe basic rules of common sense and courtesy and you will be treated the same.

You mentioned slippery. There are times early and late in the year when you have to be careful because of the algae accumulation on ramps when the boating traffic slows down. And of course we DO get ice in Utah. I am often one of the last to tube some lakes before iceup and the first on the water at iceout. I have had some interesting "fin skiing" sessions on some ramps.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey TD, just a quick question for you. I usually launch out of AF harbor with my tube. I don't use the ramp, I actually just walk down the dyke a ways to save time. The Fee's posted are $5.00 to fish, $5.00 to launch, $2.00 to walk in. I only pay the $2.00 fee. If I'm not using the ramp, and not fishing from the park property is the $2.00 correct, or should I be paying the $5.00 fee?
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is a question that would be best answered by the admin at AFBH. But the intent is to get boaters with trailers to pay the higher fees...not only because they use the ramp but because they also take up a lot more of the ever-decreasing available parking.

If you are parking outside the gate and carrying your tube to your launch spot I would pay only the $2 fee. I doubt you will ever be hassled about it. And the fact that they have a walk in fee policy shows they are not just trying to ding everybody to the max.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
My post was meant as a joke on your usage of the word "Yak" . Evidently you've not fished Utah lake much, "yak's can be seen at the rock pile which is just east of the Spanish fork River mouth. Just so you'll know in the future what a "yak" is I've attached a picture. Again good luck and have fun launching your "Kayak "
[signature]
[cool] Yeah, you got me!
[signature]
[quote altizerbd]I launch my kayak at regular "boat" launches for many reasons. No mud, no sand, not slippery or dangerous (rocks), ease of parking, facilities (restrooms, etc). Kayakers have as much right to use a boat ramp as do people in 40' cabin cruisers (especially if we have to pay the same fee). This was a sticky subject back in Virginia. People sometimes become frustrated with the fact we get to use the same facilities as them even though our boat may cost 1/40th of their "boat".

That being said I have drug my boat through the woods, hundreds of yards across mud flats, beaches, and much more just to reach that one fishy-looking hole...[/quote]

Some people just really don't want to pay. I know there are spots at Strawberry that charge...for what?
Anyway, as far as using ramp. I see a couple different situations here. Boats SHOULD be ready to go as soon as you back down that ramp. There are area's at the top of the hill to prepare your boat to do this. I know, there are MANY that do not follow this rule.
But as a Pontooner ( and tubers and Kayakers) we do spend more time on the ramp. That is a must in some cases, but in any case that requires more than sliding off and going, we try to unload everything (battery, motor, net, etc, off to the side of the ramp and slide our boats out of the way. We do not inflate on the ramp, but many do.
We have rights to the ramp but we need to follow the same rules, and just because the boat in front of you chooses to strap and wipe off boat by the water, does not make it okay for everyone else to. That is where the wait comes in.
[signature]
At Utah lake state park there is a small launch ramp into the Provo river inlet from the day use area.
[signature]
You make a good point flygoddess. I have seen poor work done by both kayakers and boaters.
[signature]
When I use a ramp for my toon, I try to get what I can done at the top then pull all my stuff down and off to one side. So that I can get out of the way.
[signature]
[quote Smokerdog]My post was meant as a joke on your usage of the word "Yak" . Evidently you've not fished Utah lake much, "yak's can be seen at the rock pile which is just east of the Spanish fork River mouth. Just so you'll know in the future what a "yak" is I've attached a picture. Again good luck and have fun launching your "Kayak "[/quote]

Now, take one of them and a relatively huge trebuchet and you have yourself one launched yak.

[angelic]
[signature]
[#004080]Joni, you hit it on the head. Courtesy and planning ahead with whatever you are launching is the right thing to do and causes less friction.[/#004080]
[#004080][/#004080]
[#004080]I have a large center console, an inflateable Zodiak, a 9' Pontoon and an Ocean Kayak. I use them all on the ramps and so far without incident by just useing common sense.[/#004080]
[#004080][/#004080]
[#004080]Although it is fun to just sit near a ramp in the Spring and watch all the "follies"... [cool][/#004080]
[signature]