Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Land of 1000 Pictures...
I don't post much on here anymore, mostly because I currently live in Washington and I don't often have Idaho fishing reports anymore. However, I do now so here you go [Smile]:

For my job I have to catch and tag steelhead. It's rough, but somebody's gotta do it... Anyway, without getting into details I pretty much lived in a hotel in Clarkston for April and May and in a cabin on the Lochsa for most of June. We usually worked pretty long days but in the evenings I found myself bored in my hotel room so of course I fished!
My co-worker and I decided to have a contest to see who could catch the most species while we were there. I won with 20 but she put up a respectable 18. A few of these were technically caught in Washington and Montana, but by and large, these were Idaho fish, and good examples of why I like Idaho the best! I won't show you all of them, just some of my favorites. Here you go:

Here's a couple token steelhead pics just for proof [Wink]:
[inline DSCN1720.JPG]

[inline P1020765.JPG]

In order to boost our species count, we got pretty creative. Our lists included things like redside shiners, speckled dace, chiselmouths, sculpins, and northern pikeminnow including this behemoth:
[inline P1020812.JPG]

But we couldn't just fish for tiny fish though, we also caught some dinos!
[inline DSCN1577.JPG]

I didn't get any big ones, but I did catch my smallest one ever, which I think is cool too!
[inline DSCN1610.JPG]

The illusive Mann Lake catfish!
[inline P1020819.JPG]

This jumbo from the Snake was not what I was expecting to pull up when I got a bite on a big chunk of chicken liver!
[inline DSCN1617.JPG]

This little guy gets to be my species #88 on my life list - the mighty yellow bullhead (I always like a fish that Smiles for the picture)!
[inline DSCN1640.JPG]

I bought a spey rod last year and never really had a chance to learn how to cast it so I brought it up to the Lochsa to get some practice in. I threw big streamers with it hoping for some bigger cutts which I caught, but I also caught a few of these beauties too:
[inline DSCN1670.JPG]

[inline DSCN1669.JPG]

[inline DSCN1677.JPG]

Here's an example of a decent Lochsa westslope:
[inline DSCN1723.JPG]

I wasn't really expecting this little guy though:
[inline DSCN1728.JPG]

[inline DSCN1730.JPG]

On a particularly slow day, we took the afternoon off and dropped over the hill into Montana and fished the Bitterroot. That was my first time there - definitely won't be my last!
[inline DSCN1762.JPG]

[inline "DSCN1758 - Copy.JPG"]

[inline DSCN1759.JPG]

[inline DSCN1774.JPG]

[inline DSCN1777.JPG]

And I know there is no fish in this last one, but it was too fun not to include. We took another afternoon off just before we packed up and headed back to Washington and went whitewater rafting on the Lochsa with the folks at 3 Rivers. I was worried that it wouldn't be that good since it was only flowing at about 4,500 CFS. Turns out that was a silly thing to worry about - it was awesome! Did I mention that I like Idaho??
[inline DSCN1813.JPG]

Anyway I don't know if this counts as a "fishing report" or not, I just kind of wanted to share some pictures.

And if you're discouraged after one of those rare slow fishing days in Idaho, just remember that it could be worse - you could live in Washington [:p][laugh][Wink]
[signature]
Depends on what part of Washington you live in......

Beautiful fish! I love the variety of species. It's a hard job you've got there! Loved the report.

Good to hear from you again.

I don't even mind if you post Washington fishing.
[signature]
Awesome report. Ron
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the pics!
Man, that must be one tough job, LoL!

I especially like the small sturgeon, definitely a good sign for the species!
[signature]
Great report. Thanks for sharing. There was one in there I didn't recognize.
[signature]
Thanks guys and gals [Smile]

Hooknhunter: if it was the yellow one that you didn't recognize, that's a perch [Tongue]
Just kidding... I'm guessing its either the tiny one laying on my finger or the ugly one with the big lips. Those are both pikeminnows, one's a juvenile of about 2 inches and the other was an adult of about 15 inches.

Cpierce: your right Washington definitely has cool stuff too, I'm just partial to Idaho - especially on days like today where the forecast here for today was for a high of 112 [pirate]
[signature]
Must be the pikeminnow that threw me. I've caught several over the years, but never got down at the eye to eye level with one before[Smile].
Ya I like to take weird close ups and sometimes it accentuates features that might not usually show up - like the big pouty lips on that one [Smile]
[signature]
Those are some great pics. Do you have a fancy camera you use or is that just from a phone?
[signature]
Thanks! Nothing fancy, just a point and shoot camera - Nikon coolpix AW100

And by the way, welcome to the forum!
[signature]
Great pictures. I loved this report.

Windriver
[signature]
That's a pretty Badazz job right there...... hook me up......[cool] I would love too do that... great pictures...
Matt
[signature]