Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100 plus temps and trout?
Do you think any trout lakes are at risk of going belly up with the low water and upcoming heat waves?
[signature]
I think so. The lakes are like a bathtub right now. They may have to increase the slot limit or risk losing trout. I know shore fishing has gone to pot at Enterprise Reservoir. It's over 100 degrees right now.
[signature]
Nah... this isnt the first summer we had 100+ temps if the temp stays 100+ for an extended period of time then maybe. Trout in lakes go to deeper water or move to weres there moving water were its cooler.
[signature]
they just go deeper i been catching trout in 60 to 70 feet of waterat quail creek .
[signature]
So far its been an unusually cool late spring and early summer.

Utah normally has a few days in the 100's, I've sat in many a 4th of July parade in triple-digits.
[signature]
Trout in deep lakes will be fine. But the poor critters in shallow streams like the Ogden River may be in trouble. Especially the ones that get caught. Even if released, they're stressed so much that some or many C&R fish may not survive.

I'm putting stream fishing on hold for a while, probably until autumn.
[signature]
I agree on the lower streams. If the water is comfortable to wade, it is getting too warm for the fish. Best to leave them to get through the heat in the deeper holes. Low water and high heat equal poor survival chances for your released fish.
[signature]
I wouldn't worry too much about the trout in Utah. One thing you can count on in this great state is an ample resupply of slime-rockets!
Plus - lakes with any depth might get up to 70s at the surface, but drop down 15, 20 feet, and it's probably plenty chill. Get down 30-60 feet, and they'll be chilling!

I'd agree with the assessment that warm waters will stress those delicate finless freddies.