Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DWR Cat Video Session 6-27-13
[#0000ff]Last week's planned session was called on account of...WIND...a four letter word. This Thursday held better promise...after a couple of days of decent weather and getting warmer...and a calm forecast.

Chris Crockett and Mike Slater planned to hit the ramp at Lincoln Beach about 8-ish. Us tubers and tooners got launched about an hour earlier. There was TubeBabe and myself, LloydE, HighNDry and his son...and (betterneverlate) Waljustia.

Lloyd, Glenn and his son Daniel started working the deeper water to the north of the channel entrance. Daniel scored the first cat...on a jig tipped with worm. Silly catfish. I got a couple like that later.

I got the next cat...on a chub minnow. Then TubeBabe scored on a piece of carp meat. We had 3 cats tamed within the first ten minutes on the water. Lookin' good. But the deep water dredgers found no more love as they worked northward.

TubeBabe and I both brought in second cats. We were fishing the shallow flats from 2 to 4 feet of water. The most active fish seemed to be in closer.
Since we all had walkie talkies we convinced the three errant boys to come back in to the shallow flats. Then they began to catch a few more fish.

About that time the DWR contingent showed up. Chris Crockett and his wife were in kayaks. Mike Slater and his daughter were in the DWR boat with the camera guy. As they motored slowly up to my tube I showed off by setting the hook on a nice kitty. But it had the last laugh by arranging a "conservation release". Only one I hooked all day that got off after I set the hook.

I confided to the new arrivals that the best fishing was out from the inlet of Benjamin Slough...in water from 3 - 4 feet deep. And for a while everybody seemed to be getting a bit of action. But most of the DWR crew and the tubers gravitated westward while I kept kicking in S turns toward the east.

Once I was all by my lonesome I started finding pockets of active cats. There were times I could not fish more than one rod. As soon as I cast out the bait the line would pop free from my line clip and go zinging off behind some scorch-tailed cat. Fun fun. There were a couple in the shallower water that actually took some air while fighting to get free.

I kept yammering on the walkie talkie that I was catching a lot of fish. But everybody seemed to be glued to the far reed bed area. Then Waljustia cruised out of the harbor...belatedly...and I implored him to come join me in the kitty fest. But, as he motored in, so did everybody else. And wouldn't cha know it? The fish were offended by all the unwanted attention and shut their little mouths.

I already had 8 in my basket and had release more than that. I estimated I had brought in over 20. So I started slow motoring back to the harbor...dragging a couple of lures behind me in the shallow water. Nada, zip, zilch. I had caught a couple of small cats on worm-tipped jigs earlier but nary a nudge after the 10:30 shut down.

I have seen that a lot at Lincoln Beach. Wide open bite for a couple of hours and then you would swear there were no fish in the lake. Ya gotta get 'em while you can and don't mess around. Move 'til you find active fish and then hammer 'em. 'Cause when they decide to quit...for their own reasons...you might as well quit too.

At least everybody in the floatilla got some fish. Some more than others. And the camera guy got a lot of footage to edit into an upcoming DWR video on Utah Lake catfish.

We were all off the water and packed up shortly after noon...just in time to dodge around all the newly arriving power squadron. Got a bit hectic on the ramp for a while.

The fish cleaning station at Lincoln Beach has not been set up this year. I guess they got tired of having to keep cleaning out beer cans and other debris that the dimbulbs kept putting in it last year. Bummer.

But I had brought my portable fish cleaning table and my 12 volt electric knife. Turned those bigguns into littleuns in fine fashion and in quick order. Got some more good footage for the camera guy.

Great day on the water with some great people. Had Pezvela (Steve) come down to join us for the filleting session...and to pick up a couple of rods I have been trying to get to him. It was good to hear that his recent fundraiser was moderately successful and that the number of passengers is increasing...from disabled vets and special needs kids. Nice work Steve.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice! [inline econ_thumbsup.gif]

There must be an unwritten fish rule that they bite the best when no one else is around, and for me it is when I leave the camera home!!
[signature]
Great trip again, way to find them. Later J
[signature]
Nice post, and thanks again for the invite.

It was great fun, and an awesome day on the water. Good schooling session from you both on the water and off with the filleting demo following.

Most entertaining part for me was watching the bigger cat Daniel hooked spin his tube around a half dozen times before he landed it. He had a good time as well, and will be eager to go back again soon I'm sure.

Are we totally out of luck at the Knolls now for launching a tube / pontoon? I'd like to give that area a try sometime if possible plus it's not too far from home?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Always a pleasure to fish you and Daniel. I get a kick out of his passion for fishing...and for his usual good performance. Must get it from his mother...who usually takes top rod honors in your house.

Nothing unusual about big cats playing merry-go-round with tubers. Happens a lot...especially when the water warms up and they get more active. The biggun that TubeBabe caught at Lindon a month ago spun her around several times too. Been there and done that. Much fun.

Good progress being made on having the Knolls available in the future. But when there are large companies and attorneys involved the wheels grind slowly...at least not as fast as my teeth. Not too likely we will have access for the balance of this year but should be some good things by next year. That is, if there is still any water in Utah Lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nicely done. What was the biggest cat of the day? Any other species caught at all?
[signature]
Nice work, guys and gals. Someday I'll get in on that cat action, as soon as I can let go of the alpine venue. Us trout guys, silly folk for sure.
[signature]
[#0000ff]Thanks.

I only caught channel cats. I did throw some plastics and pulled a spinner around on the way back in...but no other species for me. Among the others in the group there were a few bullheads caught. Also a couple of stray (skinny) white bass. I think Daniel also caught a small crappie.

We were all fishing fairly shallow water. Generally not the best potential for white bass or walleyes. Waljustia caught a couple of white bass out in 5.5 feet of water while sampling some deeper water for cats after the shallow bite shut down.

I think I probably caught the biggest cats...at about 22 or 23 inches. Mike Slater's daughter caught the biggest from their boat...at about 21 inches. TubeBabe had a couple about that same size.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1]Nice work, guys and gals. Someday I'll get in on that cat action, as soon as I can let go of the alpine venue. Us trout guys, silly folk for sure.[/quote]

[#0000FF]No apologies or explanations needed for loving the high country...and trout. I would be doing a lot more of that If there wasn't so much age and mileage on my old frame.

When I was younger I spent many happy hours in thinner pine-scented air...chasing purty trout type fishies in beautiful back country ponds. In my declining years I have to be content with making jigs for you and enjoying your reports.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#502800]No Blood = Good Times.[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[#502800]Due to the lack of posts about Starvation, someone must be catching some....... It's too quiet.[/#502800]
[signature]
[#0000FF]No spine...no pain...and no blood. All the kitties played nice. And the larger ones usually have more blunted weapons...from rolling around in the rocks.

The problem with few reports from Starvation has not been with the fish. Plenty of action...if you can get on the water. The wind has been constant and brutal.

Some good walleyes taken in the recent tournament. And plenty of good teen-inchers for the table. A lot more over twenties this year too.

Perch are still spotty but should school up and be cooperative soon. Water temps have been staying below the 65 mark but with our current warm conditions that will change soon.

Trout are always on the chew. They are almost a nuisance to the guys dragging worm harnesses for walleyes. But the fly-flinger contingent is having a lot of fun with them too. My last couple of trips I have caught quite a few nice rainbows while fishing jigs for "the other guys".

Gonna maybe try it Monday. PM me if ya wanna go play.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I spent all day yesterday from 7:40 am to 10:40 pm with family and friends involved in the wedding of one of our granddaughters. Therefore, I did not have time to report on my first fishing experience after a year and a half absence. I had a great day on the water with a lot of friends, both new and old, on the Utah Lake catfish adventure. My fishing skills were not very good, but I had a great time anyway. It is amazing how awkward I was with my pontoon, my fishing equipment, and my fishing skills after the long absence from the water. However, no excuses. Just my fishing report of the trip. I caught three catfish this time, and I was grateful for what I got...better days are ahead.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]I was glad you were able to join us. As I told you, all of the rest of us who got there before you were having our problems too. We did not have the excuse of being out of Utah for 18 months...and away from fishing. But we still were laughing at ourselves for the little things we kept forgetting or messing up. I guess excited fishermen can make bonehead mistakes any old time they want and still be excused. Heck, if you don't goof up once in a while other folks will think you are putting on airs. My excuse is that I make an occasional mistake just to prove I am still human.

If you are in the Salt Lake area any time soon you should stop by so that I can show you some of the new things I have come up with in your absence. And if you can bring your tube down I can help you with some mods I think you will appreciate.

PM me if you wanna hit Starvation Monday.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Oooh - you said a bad word! Maybe we should start editing the "W" word (out of our fishing adventures at least!).

Good job collecting a floatilla and showing the 'the way of the whisker'. Think some of them folks have been around the block before. But fun to share some tugs all the same.

I was gonner ask the same question about what was the biggest on the day, but done already been answered. Fun sized cats.

Got a couple coworkers that are "height challenged", we call them "fun sized" too. Meanwhile at the other end of the state - Skunked hauls in a 28, and he's not even IN the contest.

I'm overdue for another cat-chasing. But I might be inclined to try for another type of Tiger, or go for a perch fest. Hmmmm. Did stop by below Cutler, and checked out the lower Bear. Mostly just checking conditions.

Fun tugs, full baskets. I'll be interested to see what the DNR edits down to. Maybe a series?

Cheers - lining up a smoker session?
It was a good time at the pavilion , but I still can't make my filet knives perform the magic I saw yours do.

We were at the island today and managed 6 fat channel cat. Once we get the anchors in the water.....we stay put. 35' of boat is too much to move around.

I put the rods you provided to good use. I changed the reel on the heavy Shakespeare ugly stick to an electric reels that we use for quadriplegics. It worked great. perfect combination.

Thank you for all you do for us. Geezer provided the electric reel, You provided the rod and God put a giant Smile on the young man in the wheelchair as he caught his first fish. I'll be out again tomorrow with veterans.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sorry, boss. I'll try to be more careful with the profanity (wind). If I mess up again you should wash my mouth out with a good brew.

Nope. Din't get no gorillas on this trip. But I seldom fish for the bigguns. I get a few incidentally while fishing with medium tackle and smaller baits but my primary goal is usually just getting a few cookie cutters and two footers. Those "average" fish on Thursday "fought bigger than they were"...as TubeBabe likes to say. Plenty fun.

No smokitty from this trip. A meal for the old folks and the rest in the freezer for an upcoming fambly fish fry. Got an annual tradition where we gather up, fry some kitties and make some perch chowder. Now I gotta pack in some perch for that part. Been tough so far this year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you could join us for the cat-cuttin' session Steve. Also glad we ended up with enough for a good filleting demo. I think the camerman got some good footage to show folks that they don't have to nail the heads to a board and strip the skin off with pliers. Amazingly, some folks still make a big chore out of cleaning catfish. So easy to fillet them if you have a good electric knife and a bit of practice.

Sorry you are not having a good experience with your Rapala electrics for filleting cats. I think I "pointed out" that the blades on your Rapalas are quite different than the ones on my American Angler. I looked at the Rapalas again yesterday on my first visit to Scheels. They are still making them with the LONG points along the blades. When I have tried them I have found them to be much less effective than with less aggressive blades. They don't saw through the tough rib bones as well and they sometimes tear up the skin during the skinning process. Don't know what to tell ya.

Glad the rods have found a good home. Good plan to rig the electric reel up that bigger rod. Now you might want to consider making a clip-on safety strap to prevent the whole thing from diving overboard if a big fish abuses one of the folks you have using it.

Happy to help where I can. Wish I could do more. It is good to hear that you are getting both more people going out on the boat and more publicity and participation from the public.

You do fine work, sir.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]