Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking hot muskie fishing for one, big setback for tiger muskie anglers.
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet. The DWR had a "bit" of a setback with their Tiger Muskie program recently.

[url "http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/56538749-219/muskie-tiger-utah-ponds.html.csp"]http://m.sltrib.com/...-utah-ponds.html.csp[/url]

From the article;

" As it turns out the fishing was probably not illegal because there were no signs around the ponds explaining that it was a state fish hatchery and because there are no state regulations on true muskie because they only exist at Lee Kay."

IMO, an inexcusible error on the DWR's part. Wish them well getting VHS free TM fry from out-of-state so they can stock some more. UGH.
[signature]
I live in West Valley and I've been thinking about fishing those ponds for a while now. It shows on the DWR website that TONS of fish are stocked there, but I haven't been able to find any regulations about it anywhere. Good to know. I guess the thing that's kept me from checking it out is that it's at a gun range. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
What a shame! This loss of the pure muskies is gonna put a big hurt on our muskie lakes..

Its a shame on both sides: from the people who caught and cooked em, to not having the proper signage and barbed wire fencing to protect these very expensive gamefish !

Sad Sad day for Utah and other western states that reaped the benefits from the tiger program at Lee Kay...
[signature]
its absolutely ridiculous- i cannot believe our DWR would let this happen in the first place !!! i am furious- thats thousands upon thousands of dollars WASTED!!!!! not to mention the idiots that took the fish in the first place...ooooh YUMMY fish that have been sitting in a Marsh pond for the past several years. _

So what the hell... No fences?? No signs??? NOTHING- we are looking great now... GO UTAH.... Now what?? get more fingerlings and sit back and wait for the next 6 yrs + for them to reach maturity to breed ?? yaaaay we will be stocking in the yr 2020... good god, Pineview got a whopping 600 fish this yr- maybe a couple will make it to maturity ... and the rest will be eaten by larger fish, poached. or killed by manys improper handling...

and what really hurts more than anything is that NO ONE will be held accountable for this... why? because there wasnt a sign, a fence.. Nada. This is insane.

you can call me a muskie Nazi.. I call it passionate...passionate about something that means more to me than most can understand.
[signature]
I hope they can get it back going again soon.
[signature]
It's both Sad and angering. In no way did the jerk-off that commited this heiness act not know that this pond was off-limits. It was absolute unsportsmanship that kept him fishing until there were no more to be caught. What did he think, it was a secret place that noone had found yet? I think not! He knew it was wrong and needs to be held responsible. It was wrong for the DWR not to secure it but they probably thought no person of any aptitude could have thought it legal to fish the area. Hopefully some legal begal can get the scumbag prosecuted. The only way out in my book is if the perpertrator were mentally handicapped in a severe way. Let out the name!
[signature]
For some reason I'm doubting it was just "1 angler"
[signature]
[quote Bscuderi]For some reason I'm doubting it was just "1 angler"[/quote]

+1

[mad]
[signature]
RE" It was wrong for the DWR not to secure it but they probably thought no person of any aptitude could have thought it legal to fish the area."

You presuppose three things.

1. That all anglers are smart enough.
2. That all anglers are knowledgeable enough.
3. That anglers will be ethical.

For the first one, reading the nonsense on internet fishing forums is sufficient proof that there are plenty of world class morons out there. The second, it is clear that many/most anglers don't know what is going on with Utah fishing in general and specifically, the Lee Kay TM project. And third, it is Sad but true that there are always a bunch of unethical anglers around. We see their BS actions all the time when fishing.

Yes, the perp(s) is a genuine delta-bravo, but the DWR absolutely dropped the ball on this in not protecting their valuable investment with the proper signage, barriers and for &@*% sakes, regulations! Again, inexcusible!
[signature]
Please tell me this is a joke! What a show of complete incompetence on the part of DWR! No signs, fencing, or anything? Seriously, should we expect anything more from a goverment agency these days? Thanks for blowing through tax payer money with nothing to show for it, and letting those responsible walk. If this is a "setback", I'd hate to see what they think of a big problem.
[quote rctalbot]Please tell me this is a joke! What a show of complete incompetence on the part of DWR! No signs, fencing, or anything? Seriously, should we expect anything more from a goverment agency these days? Thanks for blowing through tax payer money with nothing to show for it, and letting those responsible walk. If this is a "setback", I'd hate to see what they think of a big problem.[/quote]

+1!
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Quote:As it turns out the fishing was probably not illegal because there were no signs around the ponds explaining that it was a state fish hatchery and because there are no state regulations on true muskie because they only exist at Lee Kay.

[size 6][red]HORSEFEATHERS[/red][/size]

Quote:R657-13-19. Season Dates and Bag and Possession Limits.

(1) All waters of state fish rearing and spawning facilities are closed to fishing.

It was, and is, against the law to fish at the Lee Kay Center. The lack of signs doesn't change the law.
[signature]
Quote:LEE KAY CENTER POND SALT LAKE RAINBOW 1989 1.56" 04/11/2013

LEE KAY CENTER POND SALT LAKE RAINBOW 6122 4.82" 04/18/2013

LEE KAY CENTER POND SALT LAKE RAINBOW 25753 3.16" 04/25/2013

LEE KAY CENTER POND SALT LAKE RAINBOW 4690 5.11" 04/25/2013

LEE KAY CENTER POND SALT LAKE RAINBOW 999 5.13" 06/13/2013

Without Muskies to eat them, there should be some decent fishing for these trout at the pond.[crazy]
[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]
Quote:As it turns out the fishing was probably not illegal because there were no signs around the ponds explaining that it was a state fish hatchery and because there are no state regulations on true muskie because they only exist at Lee Kay.

[size 6][red]HORSEFEATHERS[/red][/size]

Quote:R657-13-19. Season Dates and Bag and Possession Limits.

(1) All waters of state fish rearing and spawning facilities are closed to fishing.

It was, and is, against the law to fish at the Lee Kay Center. The lack of signs doesn't change the law.[/quote]

That's all well and good, but the above quote was from the newspaper, and I would assume the DWR itself. Otherwise, I would assume they would be vigorously pursuing charges against the dufus that caught out the fish. If the DWR never bothered to officially identify Lee Kay as a fish rearing facility through on site signage or especially legal code or regulation, then a defense attorney would be able to get charges thrown out of court in a New York minute.

Again, just an egregious error by the DWR any way you look at it.
[signature]
I can't blame the fisherman. I go to Lee Kay to shoot and about a month or two ago, someone told me about the ponds out there. . Any one of us would jump on a honey hole secret.[Wink]

Now if they would look the other way for ONE day at Mountain Dell...Wahooo!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]

Now if they would look the other way for ONE day at Mountain Dell...Wahooo![/quote]

yeah for sure[crazy]
[signature]
It is Sad to see, for many reasons.

But I wanted to comment on a few things. For one thing, think back and pretend you are in charge of this muskie program. Do you recommend the ponds be fenced? Do you advise no fishing signs be put up? Do you consider making it illegal to fish the ponds? Do you change (add) the regulation for true muskie in the Utah fishing regs?

Looking back now it's easy to say you would have suggested all of these things and taken steps to prevent what happened recently. But I am not so sure I personally would have done any of those things. What I am getting at is that its easy to second guess now but sometimes you have to learn the hard way. In the future hopefully there will be no fishing signs, fences, regulations etc.... but let's not be naive and pretend that would prevent this completely. It would make it easier to penalize someone after the fact. But in most cases when people do stuff like this they don't get caught? This was a rare case where the guy basically turned himself in?

The idiots and morons who don't care about the law, will trespass, cut fences, jump fences, rip nets, take down signs, ignore signs, and fish anyways.... You can make it harder or riskier for them to do but the fact is this type of thing will still happen or could still happen.

It's just too bad that someone did this. Really sounds like it will hurt the Tiger Muskie fishing in the future...
[signature]
Not to pick on you for the article, but the UDWR lists the Lee Kay Hatchery. It IS an official fish rearing facility. Anyone fishing it was, or is breaking the law.

Quote:Volunteers and Dedicated Hunters

DH homeCategoriesList allList locations

Lee Kay Hatchery

Street:
6000 West 2100 South
ZIP:
City:
Salt Lake City
State:
Utah

One search of the UDWR Website.

Quote: Posted Friday, 04 May 2012 12:55

Harrison said the best solution biologists have found so far is to spread the tiger muskie out as much as possible and to keep an abundance of brine shrimp in the tank for them to feed on. "Unfortunately," he said, "our hatchery at Lee Kay is mostly a glorified 'tough shed,' so we don't have enough room for the fish. We can't keep them very long because we need to separate older fry from the smaller ones. That's why we brought fry to stock into Cottonwood and Bullock even though they're roughly the length of a penny."

It's a hatchery. Laws were broken.
[signature]
I'm Confused ... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

[:/] [:/] [:/] [:/] [:/] [:/] [:/]
[signature]