Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tenkara Review
Over the winter I read a lot about Tenkara and was intrigued by what I read. I wanted to know if it was a passing fad or something that was really beneficial for small stream fishing.

Finally a I decided to try it and didn't like the feel of the Temple Fork version at the local fly shop so I went online and studied everything I could from tenkarabum.com and tenkarausa.com. I finally settled on one of tenkarausa's rods and wouldn't you know it was backordered. I was in the mood to try it so I switched to a beginner rod from tenkarabum. I don't even know the name of it. It is just his base starter rod. The service was excellent and the rod came in about four or five days from New York. Tenkarabum orders his inventory from Japan and Tenkarausa has a line of tenkara rods made for the US market. Both seem like great companies with good service.
Anyway I tried my rod first on bluegill and small bass. It was easy to learn after I figured out that the casting motion is much shorter than if you are casting a western rod. I also figured out that I needed something to put my line on when I wasn't fishing since there is no reel. The tenkara system worked well for bluegill, but I'm not sure I would buy one just for bluegill. It worked as well, but not better than a western rod for most of my usual applications.

This week I hit three different creeks with the tenkara rod. I have to say I love it. This is what tenkara was designed for in Japan. It is better than a western fly rod in the sense that you have almost no line on the water so it is easier to get a drag free drift on difficult pocket water or areas with many different eddies. I thought the long rod would be difficult in tight creeks. I actually am catching less trees because the back cast is higher with the longer rod and I am not tempted to keep putting out more line.

I will make a video and post pictures later this summer. I just wanted to let people who fish high mountain streams know that I am having a good time with tenkara and will continue to use it for stream fishing.

Windriver
[signature]
What length rod did you get?
[signature]
Mine is 12 feet long. It seems about right for the creeks I fish. I have found very few places I can not reach. A shorter rod would force me to sneak closer. A longer one might get caught in trees and bushes. Tenkara rods are telescopic so I break it down to move through the trees or bushes.

Windriver
[signature]
I have been fishing one for about 6 months now. The idea of keeping the line off the water is a blast. I make my own leaders though. Even my own flies although many traditional work just fine.
I fish the AYU II 13' 6:4. Great all around rod and I agree Tenkara USA is the one to choose.
I love the smell of the moth balls on the rod sock....LOL Also I just wrap my line around the handle, but I scored a couple of line holders at the I.F. Fly Tying Expo.
Not a windy day rod however[Smile]
[signature]
Good fun! I used mine about 3 times this spring, and then I slipped on an icy rock and broke it. I think I can fix it yet.

It was a lot of fun, and an altogether different experience.

I have a hard time not using my left hand for line control!
[signature]
When we went to a pier in San Diego someone there described a similar fishing pole some of the Asian people used. Only they would have one eyelet at the end of a 15' pole and a spool of line without a reel. He said they could cast further than most anyone else and handled it better than you'd ever expect. Might be kinda fun to try this some time.
[signature]
What brand is yours? I know tenkarausa and tenkarabum can get parts.

Windriver
[signature]
The E-Z keepers work awesome to put the line somewhere when moving. I use a high-vis fluro level line. It works great so far, but I need to try a furled leader.

Windriver
[signature]
That is slick. I carry mine in a backpack and the line got tangled with other gear so, I wrap it around the handle.
I tried wrapping it around the handle, buy I was getting loops I'm my line. The e_z keepers keep it loose enough so it doesn't coil.
Windriver
[signature]
Of course....because of the line, that makes sense. I need to send you a 10' 6" furled, eh? [Wink]
[signature]
Me and a friend of mine have a few loaner rods and were considering doing a Tenkara clinic at the Pocatello Edson Fitcher Pond around September and possibly October too. If any of you were interested in trying Tenkara for free, reply to this post and I will try to inform you of when we do the clinics.
[signature]
I just watched a video to see what this tenkara is. As it turns out, I have been doing it for years on panfish with some telescoping crappie poles from 10' to 14'. I don't use fly line but it would be easy enough to add. They make those poles up to 18' and they are very cheap.
[signature]
[quote mudsucker]I just watched a video to see what this tenkara is. As it turns out, I have been doing it for years on panfish with some telescoping crappie poles from 10' to 14'. I don't use fly line but it would be easy enough to add. They make those poles up to 18' and they are very cheap.[/quote]

This is written by Tenkarabum
"Similarly, they are on a completely different level than the telescopic crappie poles that they vaguely resemble. Before I could buy a real tenkara rod, I bought quite a few crappie poles trying to find a good substitute. They just aren't the same. The action is different, and the quality is in another league."

In watching the video, did you notice the idea behind a Tenkara is to dance the fly keeping the line off the water. If that is how you crappie fish, then you are half way there[Smile]

But, then there are some that think fishing a fly even on a spinning outfit is "fly fishing".[shocked]
[signature]
[quote mudsucker]I just watched a video to see what this tenkara is. As it turns out, I have been doing it for years on panfish with some telescoping crappie poles from 10' to 14'. I don't use fly line but it would be easy enough to add. They make those poles up to 18' and they are very cheap.[/quote]
Tenkara rods are like a HD Ultra Glide Classic.
Crappie poles are like a '63 Vespa.
Just because the have only two wheels, doesn't mean they're alike.
[signature]
Didn't say I used the crappie poles for crappie. I've used them for bluegills and brookies and tilapia and perch. They will dance a fly on top if that is needed.

The video I watched was like many trout videos. Long on extolling the virtues of the most expensive equipment available and short on the fishing. I did get the idea what this tenkara that I had until recently been so blissfully ignorant about was.

I don't see any reason to knock your methods. You have fun with it.
[signature]
You need to look up Tanago then[Wink]
[signature]
I just started fishing Tenkara this year and it has been the most fun I have had fishing in a very long time. I have even caught a few big trout on my Tenkara fly rod and it handled quite well. here is a link to a youtube video of a 19 inch trout I caught this morning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=993mGBXXPLg
[signature]
That is awesome. Only thing that would have made that better is to use a chest cam.[Wink] Jealous!
[signature]
I would love a chest mount but it is low on my to-buy list right now.
[signature]