Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is this fish?
As it says I have no.clue what this is help me out here.
[signature]
Tilapia, maybe.
[signature]
Freshwater drum
[signature]
There it is. Freshwater Drum.
[signature]
Looks about right, thanks.
[signature]
I would guess tilapia, if you caught it anywhere in Idaho. Holding it by the mouth makes it look a little wierd. Several have been caught in the Bear R and especially Oneida Res.
Also a lot of tilapia in the Snake River system below Twin Falls.

Not as likely that freshwater drums are here anywhere.
[signature]
It does look like a drum. Do you have another picture of it showing the tail and the fin on top.

Where did you catch it? It isn't supposed to be here.
[signature]
Portneuf, [angelic], just kidding I didnt catch it, my father inlaw did, over in eastern Montana.
[signature]
Well, that makes more sense.
[signature]
Darn, I was hoping it was around here. I've never caught a drum and really want to add it to my list. I hear they fight very hard.
[signature]
I am originally from WI and we called them Sheephead. It is on of those we would keep only for fertilizer in the garden. Carp family I believe.
[signature]
Nope, they're actually related to the saltwater redfish, aka: red drum. From what I hear they're actually really good to eat too. They are carnivores and hit a wide variety of lures, unlike carp, and they don't cause all the turbidity problems carp cause.
[signature]
Interesting. I didn't know about the freshwater drum. My first thought was it looked like a croaker that I've caught in southern california in the surf. Definitely see the red drum resemblance.
[signature]