Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing woodruff. Report.
Hit woodruff friday.

I was the first person to attempt to blaze the trail to the dam. The road was snow packed and in some places the drifts got a couple feet deep. I had made it about 3/4 of the way up there and had given up on making it to the top when skeeter and his uncle showed up and proved it could be done. Thanks to those guys for not making me drag my ice shelter up that hill.

Anyways, the ice is about 8 inches thick back at the inlet and 4 inches thick down by the dam. All crystal clear solid ice. There was about an inch of snow on top of it, but the entire lake is safe fishable ice.

As the day rolled on about a total of ten guys showed up. I didnt see the IFG. At least I was too busy catching fish to look for the sexual inuendo printed on the back of his coat.

So how was the fishing you ask? Same as all early season ice fishing. Good.

The morning started out slow for me. My old man had five fish before I had one bite. I finally got a couple, but in the afternoon, the fishing really picked up. Big schools moved in and camped out under us at times.

I lost track of how many fish we caught.

All cutts. No whitefish. Most fish were 14 inchers but we caught a few in the 17 inch range.

Either way, one heck of a first ice fishing trip for the year.

As most of you early season ice anglers will know, a lot of fish hang out right under the ice. 1 - 4 ft down where unless the swim right under the transducer, your finders cone angle is not wide enough to see them. So the best technique is to drop your lure about four feet down, and watch your finder, then if you see fish deep, drop down to them.

Half the fish I caught were right under the ice and my finder never marked them. Had I dropped my lure to 20 ft and just left it, I wouldnt have caught any of those shallow fish.

The majority of the fish were caught right under the ice or suspended at 20 ft in 46 ft deep water. A few fish were caught in 10 - 15 ft, and none of the fish that showed up near the bottom, 30 ft or more even bit.

My dad kept one 14 inch fish for my himself and my mom. All my fish were released. And thats important when you consider the size of lake that woodfruff is. Its such a small lake, that early season ice fishing over harvest could easily be done. So, if you go up there, please use wisdom and practice selective harvest.

The bite was very light. Most times it wasnt even a bite, but the fish picking up your lure in his mouth and there was just a slight weight change when the weight of your lure went away. So good equipment was a must.

I was glad to be inside a shelter where you could remove gloves and coats and have bare fingers on the line detecting the ultra light bites.

I suspect that most guys who werent catching fish were either too deep, or didnt have thier pole in thier hands and were missing the bites they were getting.

Its such a long drive that staying most of the day is a must. I believe the road over monte is closed so you have to go around and through evanston. Or over through logan, past bear lake, and down through that way. Either way its a long drive even for those of us in northern utah. 4 WD is an absolute must.

But to those of us who love early season ice fishing, its all worth it.

We used Lip ripperz trout worms, 1 inch chartruse kalin grubs, but the killer lure that caught the fish was as always the white watter cricket. The only place I have seen that has these is hooked in kaysville. But they are one heck of a lure, just about on any utah lake. They always produce big at strawberry, woodruff, hyrum, and they even did real well on fish lake last year.
[signature]
Awsome report!!!!

you may have changed my mind on were to go tomarrow. I was thinking Utah lake for white bass but that sounds too fun.
[signature]
I forgot to mention that they wanted it still. If we put any action on it at all it was just short sharp twitches. They didnt seem to wat it jigged, just setting there wich happens sometimes, but is mostly unusual.

HFT, Skeeter2 was up there, they may get a report in here shortly. They may have done even better than we did.

Also. I just learned that Fishing Waters was up there. He came over to the shantee and got some info earlier in the day before we figured out the fish, and he moved up the lake. He may have a report also.

Also the water clarity wasnt very good. With the shantee down, and the glare off the water you can always tell the water clarity. It was very stained and visibility was about three feet before you had some serious fading. Skeeter had his aquaview up there and the visibility on the upper end was about the same story top to bottom.

We werent prepared, and didnt get into your store to get some waxies so we had to stop at the gas station and get some crawlers. But they worked out alright.
[signature]
Nice! I knew waters was going out on the ice yesterday but when he left me he wasn't sure if he was going to huntington,scofield or woodruff,guess he made the right choice.
[signature]
Predator is right the fish are suspended at about 10 to 15 feet. They don’t like much jigging just a little. They also don’t hit hard, hold the pull when they start to hit and give a slight jerk to set the hook. I was using a Vexilar and could see the fish swim down or up to the jig investigate and leave or hit. My boy managed to catch a 17” I believe a Cutt I pulled out 4 fish inbetween helping the kids between 12” and 16” in about 3 hours in the afternoon.[cool]
[signature]
Great report. I have been waiting to hear about Woodruff. I have never iced fished it but we do alot of fishing there in the summer.Did you park at the top and walk down in? How was the water level? If woodruff is frozen then do you think Birch Creek is also?
[signature]
The snow has drifted and made it deep in some places most 4X4s should make it to the top. Right after the top parking area there was a big snow drift and some snow going down the hill in to the lake. The Ice was go clear ice. Next time I go I’m taking my ATV. The meal worms with the heads ripped off worked the best.
[signature]
With that much ice on woodruff, I would bet birch creek is good to go as well.

Yes we did park at the lot on top, and like fishing waters said, a 4 wheeler would be great to get you down the dam hill and across the lake to get back into the upper end. Better than walking anyways. And with 8 inches back there, you arent in danger of losing your ATV unless they get some serious melt up there.

Would love to hear a report from birch creek.
[signature]
Nice report Predator, last year when I was up there before it froze there was a huge sand bar about 50 to 75 yards from the dam. I'm guessing the water was deep enough to cover it now if it is 40 plus feet deep, was that the deepest water you found? How far was it from the dam to the inlet? Thanks. WH2
[signature]
Very nice report predator. Sounds like you had an excellent trip. Glad you could make it out and hook into some nice cutts.
[signature]
Predator, those dam hills can be murder (LOL), as I can attest at Electric Lake.
[signature]
OK, I've heard of Woodruff in the past year and have lived in Evanston for 21 years, have ridden sleds for many years in the Monte area. I don't have a clue where this reservoir is. Can you provide directions please? I promise not to overfish it if I even get there. Thanks,

Kevin
[signature]
If you have driven from Evanston to Monte you have gone by it. I don't know how far it is from the turn off by the town of Woodruff but the road that goes to woodruff res. is before the road starts climbing up Monte. It is close to the turn off to Birch creek but on the opposite side of the road. I'm sure predator can give better directions. WH2
[signature]
Thanks WH2. I had no idea. I had seen the signs and the road for Birch Creek but never for Woodruff. I have never seen a road that I suspect went to a reservoir on the opposite side either. I haven't gone that way for a few years so maybe it's time I made a little trip up that way.

Kevin
[signature]
The turn off road to Woodruff is on the south side and I'm not sure if it is marked or not but it's a good dirt road. It is at least 4 or 5 miles, when you come to the split in the road stay on the right. The last 1/2 a mile is a good climb up the road to the dam. WH2
[signature]
Its been a while since I've been up there but I'm pretty sure the road to woodruff isn't marked but going the evanston way if you get to Burch Creek Res. Turn you've gone too far, check out topozone.com for some maps. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Doc,
That place is abandoned??? I know right where it is now. Thanks. Say, you're not the guy who has spotted wolves up that way are you?

Kevin
[signature]