Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Report
oneicehole and I met up early this morning for a morning of wiper fishing. We only boated four fish all morning. Not a one on last week's lures. Everything came in on white ... mainly a white Rapala glass shadrap. The bite was definately down. I kind of expected that though. Historically, for me, when the weather gets hot around the 4th of July, I start to have a lot harder time catching fish. I'm done fishing Willard unless boils start in ernst (which I don't think they will because the bait fish are so plentiful) AND there is enough water for launching.

Thanks for joining me Troy.
[signature]
Ralph, ive been out there the last 2 days yesterday caught about 20 fish but I had to work my but off for them, today was a lot slower only go 5 in the boat. mix wipers and walleyes
[signature]
Kind of new here, well I don't have any posts, but I've been reading for a few years. I've been actively fishing Willard for the past 3 weeks and shore fishing seems to be doing extremely well. If you go to the eastern most part of the far south levee, action is really heavy in the early morning up until around 2PM using worms & mussels. The water's not very deep, so I've been using heavy weight and walking about 10ft. into the water to cast my lines out. The south levee is a combination of small wipers, large wipers, and channel cats; I've heard reports of crappie but I haven't had any luck there with them. I'd honestly say I was catching fish at least once every 10 minutes from around 6AM to 8AM, then 1-2 per hour after that. I don't know about you guys, but I only eat small wipers because I like to pan fry them whole, so I usually catch my limit within the first half hour, then it's all catch and release from there. If you're looking for bigger fish, you'll probably catch and release about 40 small ones before you land the one you're looking for.

On the north west levee near the light pole I find the action to be really slow. I fish there from 10PM to 8AM. I only stick it out because there are some monsters over there, especially when the wind picks up. We went out this past Wednesday night starting around 2AM trying to catch some crappie after hearing numerous reports of giant crappie in the area. We caught dozens of really good sized wipers, one lone ranger carp, a giant bluegill, and a few channel cats. The highlight of the evening was this 22 incher, though we believe there were larger ones, but our lines kept snapping when they got to the shoreline so we can't know for sure:

[Image: 485406_572222269496895_1264220734_n.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks Again to the old coot for the (tour) of Willard. Thanks to him and tube dude for all the information about Willard. My wife says if I would study my scriptures as intense as I did your info I would be a professor at BYU. Also this utah forum is awesome I wish other forums were as good as this one.
[signature]
"Yesterday caught about 20 fish"

Wow! that's an awsome day Jason.

Since you caught so many fewer today than yesterday, I have to ask, was you doing anything different today than yesterday (location, lures, etc) or were they just not biting as much today?
[signature]
Thanks for the report Jon Doe[Wink], for only your second post in 6 years, that was a good one. Sounds like you have those wipers figured out. Were you fishing n the bottom or using a bobber? With post like this, you need to post more often.
WH2
[signature]
Jason, your killing me, you fishing from your boat or Chad's?
[signature]
We pasted you coming in as we was going out, cbr and I.. We got 6 Wipers and then got blown off the water..
[signature]
ralph, doing same thing, just wind was worse on Saturday, is about the only thing I can think of,
[signature]
Curt, I fished from my boat both days
[signature]