Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Idaho
Moving to Idaho Falls from Texas.

I have no idea where to begin. I must fish or go insane.

Should I get rid of my bait casters and buy spinning gear?
I do have a cheap fly rod but really have no idea how to use it.

I'm leaving my boat in Texas so I'll be bank fishing or wading.

I guess I'm looking for advice on where to fish and how.

Thanks
Lots of good bass fishing, don't sell your gear.
[signature]
+1

Idaho is awesome for bass! There's tons of small fishing holes within 2 hours of driving from where you're at. Keep in mind the size of bass will be a little different than what you're used to, so you'll need to use more Medium rods than MH's. I'd get a cheap float tube and flippers (sounds like you have waders) and you'll be set!
[signature]
Welcome. If you give us specific questions we will give you specific answers. Do you want to fly fish, bait fish, lure fish. Big fish, little fish, lots of fish, etc.... You will need to learn to ice fish come Nov. Smile
Windriver
[signature]
You'll love the Idaho Falls area. There is such a variety of fishing here and you may want to consider bringing the boat if that's even a possibility. This is a great forum to provide and receive information. Welcome to the area!
[signature]
[quote windriver]Welcome. You will need to learn to ice fish come Nov. Smile
Windriver[/quote]

+1, Windriver.

Did someone mention ice fishing? [cool] Man, do I have the summer time blues in a bad way. I can't wait for hard water......
[signature]
Welcome, where did you live in Texas? My family moved here from Texas back in 93. We lived between Houston and Beaumont, out in the country.

Don't get rid of your bait caster. As others have said, there is some great bass fishing to be had. I do agree that you might want to use slightly lighter tackle than you did down south. Spinning gear definitely has it's place too, especially with some finesse techniques.

I don't really have any advice for you on the Idaho Falls area, as I live on the west side of the state.

Not sure how familiar you are with the area, but the biggest difference between Idaho and Texas is the percentage of public land. You will feel much less constricted when trying to roam around. That can work against you too, because most everyone else has the same ability. You will learn to keep hush-hush about your hotspots.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I'm from a small town east of Dallas, my wife is from the Houston area.

The company I worked for the last 15yrs closed at the end if May. So newly unemployed and no kids at home - we decided it would be a good time for a move. Found a job in Idaho Falls and we are moving there at the end of the month although I still have not found a house to rent.

I enjoy fishing for anything. I'd say 99.9% of the time it's catch and release. Normally I fish big reservoirs for catfish, crappie, bass, and striped bass. I have only a little experience fishing rivers and I've never ice fished but always wanted to try it.

Fishing is my escape from the rest of the world. I don't have the most expensive gear but I do have a tackle buying addiction.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT Idaho!!

Don't get rid of you're bait casters, that is all I use for bass fishing. Very rarely use my spinning gear anymore. I use 7' rods in Med to MH. A lot of good bass fishing lakes in Idaho. Both smallies and largemouth.
[signature]
welcome I live in idaho falls too hope to see you out there sometime
[signature]
I also am from Idaho Falls. Every time I have moved and sold stuff, I end up buying it again at new prices. Don't sell anything before you leave, bring it all.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]