Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edson Fichter Pond 7/9
So I have been thinking a lot lately about what I can do to help promote the sport the I love with younger people. The answer was obviously to take some kids fishing. My kids are out of town at the moment so after work yesterday I took my fly rod over to Edson Fichter Pond.
I work for the railroad and see it is always packed with people but not many catch fish. I wanted to give it a shot and if I could find a good bite I would teach a few kids how to catch a fish. (In my opinion this is what that pond is for, but that may be a different thread in itself.) Well it took a little time to find the right fly, but once I did OH MAN! The fish went nuts. There was large schools of fish cruising the bank like 6 ft out. I wish I had a Tenkara rod!!!!
Anyways after catching and releasing about 7 cast after cast, and only seeing one other kid catch a fish I called across the pond and asked a guy whose kids were getting discouraged if they would like to catch a fish on a fly rod. Of course they came running like I was throwing candy at a parade!! I casted and hooked the first fish then showed them how to bring it in and then showed them how to cast it and set the hook. All in all it was great! we caught over 20 fish and the kids each took 2 home. It felt pretty good when one of the little girls asked her dad to buy her a flyrod for her birthday. Of course all the fish were planters, but to see those kids, you would think they just hooked a shark!
[signature]
Good job. +1 Karma for you.

I bet those kids will never forget it.
[signature]
Fantastic!

I am glad you helped them out![cool]
[signature]
Once the pond becomes established they planned on planting perch and bass in there. That was in their original write up.for the pond any way. I think they need to take advantage of the space and further develop other ponds and make it a multi species for kids. Perch pond would be a huge hit, if they made the pond and gave the fish a year or two, to establish them selves so they wouldnt have to.restock all the time. And same story for bass. Should have done same with trout as well but every one get in a rush. I.hope to see the area become more established and hope the pursue with their original ideas.
[signature]
I agree Jeremypeace. Maybe a catfish pond as well as a perch and bluegill pond.
It kind of makes me sick to see grown men out there fishing it by themselves and taking home every fish they catch. Hopefully now with the 2 fish limit it will be better, but I wish it was 2 fish for licensed adults and 6 for junior and children. I have seen what it does to kids to release fish. It is hard for them to understand the conservation side of things. I have no issues with catch and release, and honestly I LOVE to eat trout, but I just wont take them home from a place I view as a kids pond. Let the kiddies have em.
[signature]
I fish this pond in the morning before work with my Tenkara fly rod and usually do well, I always catch and release. My friend and I are going to be putting on a Tenkara clinic there when the temperatures cool down some to introduce it to the kids (and adults). Tenkara is so easy to learn and fishing with flies is so much fun. Glad to see you helping those youngsters out. From what I understand, they plant that pond with 500 fish every week.
[signature]
The have finally stocked Edson Fitcher Pond again but the parking lot is closed so you have to walk from the road to the pond. I stopped by during my lunch break and caught 13 trout in 1.5 hours on my Tenkara rod, missed quite a few too. I caught a 17 incher that I had to run up and down the bank with to wear him out, see photo. I practice catch and release so the fish are still around for the kids to catch, I usually catch and release most of the time anyway no mater where I fish.
[inline large-trout-edson-fitcher-pond-2.jpg]
[signature]
Nice fish. Good that the kids can catch a few now.
[signature]