Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish'n fun at the family ranch
Time spent at the in-laws is not all that bad... See...
[signature]
Wow! Those are some gorgeous rainbows! Is that at Navajo?
[signature]
[Smile] Wow!!! Pretty fish!!!! (Cute kid, too!)
[signature]
Hey, Ry, can you adopt me; I want to be part of your family![blush]
[signature]
Those are some nice lookin' bows! Congrats. How thick was the ice you were fishing?
[signature]
Except for taxidermy jobs I've never seen color so bright on a fish before. Good job taking the little one(s?) out too.

Kevin
[signature]
If the fish are half as tame as the elk out there, they probably swam right up for a hand feeding.

Just kidding. I thought the scenery looked familiar. The ranch is just around the bend from where I live. I've heard that they grow some nice bows there from my girlfriend's family. They did all of the metal signs for the ranch. Looks like they weren't kidding. Great fish, and a great time out with the kids. Congrats. Hope to run into you out here sometime.
[signature]
If I could take a wild guess that is the Stevenson ranch L.C. ranch. Or it could be one of thousands of little ponds full of big fish some where between tabiona and roosevelt. My family roots comes from that area, my dad was born and raised in Altonah. We still have property out there. Those are some nice fish. Except for my mack that i caught a couple of weeks ago, my biggest fish have came from little pond like that out there.
[signature]
I also seen elk I seen about five hundered head or more and that is not an exaderatoin I seen them in tabby
[signature]
Very nice, thanks for sharing, where was this at?
[signature]
Good call on the L.C. Ranch. As far as adoption goes MrLipripper, I'll consider it if I can claim you as a dependent on my tax return. The pictures don't even do the fish justice, they are beautiful. Although most of the fish are planted, they are not your typical hatchery pets. They are "high dollar" fish. There are some steelhead (not sure of the strain, but well known) out of Canada. They are really fun to catch because they fight as hard as wipers and take 4+ foot leaps. I have also caught a few large Brookies (3 -6 lbs). The fish are not fed artificial feed...the ponds are very prolific. I am one of only a few people that have ever ice fished the ponds. As far as catch rates go, I have had better days on the Berry, Scholfield, Fish Lake, and Rockport, but nowhere that I know of compares on size and quality. Viva Naughton is one of the closest that I have experienced. My best fish at the ranch was a 29 1/2" brown (very fat). Clients have caught several rainbows over 35" within the last two years. Tiger Woods, Mark Omeara, Don Johnson, Tom Selleck, and others have fished there (bragging, I know). Although the fishing is a little pricey, the lodging is a deal. If you want to check it out, look at lcranch.com they have a very good website (my wife and I are on the 'see the family' link on the bottom of the home page!). Sorry about all the bragging, but you have to admit that holidays at the in-laws are a pretty sweet deal for me.....On the downside, it has ruined flyfishing for me at most other places. Thanks for all the nice replies.
[signature]
I just looked at that 35", and I bought a 9' six weight last year for "big" fish, but I have to say, that fish would probably break my rod right in half. $400 well spent, doing what I love, and down the drain. I'd say thats the only good way to break a rod.

Anthony
[signature]
I've fished a couple of the private ponds around Southern Utah and I wouldn't say it spoiled my fishing experience. I'm not impressed with a huge fish out a private pond. I guess I have more respect for public land trophies. I put private lakes and guided trips in the same category.

Nice looking country though. It would be nice to take the kids to places like that and get them hooked on fishing.
[signature]
Good looking fish!!! Was that caught out of one of the ponds??? Is the family still running everything with the fishing on the ranch??? Or is it still run by a fishing organization???? There are alot of little ponds around out in that area with some nice fish in them. But for access it is all about who you know, or in my case who my father was. He was born and raised out there in Altonah. We still have property out there, right across the street from the Altonah ranger station. I have been curious how much Falcons Ledge has affected LC's business????
[signature]
Lucky Dog![Wink] That is an absolutely beautiful fish & its HUGE!!![Smile]
[signature]
The fish was caught on the L.C. Ranch in a spring fed pond named the Upper Lodge Pond. For a long time the fishing was managed exclusively through Western Rivers Fly Shop out of Salt Lake City. The fishing can now be booked directly through the ranch or through one of several outfitters. Trout Bum Two out of Park City books quite a few trips. As far as how Falcons Ledge affects the business at the L.C. Ranch, I'm not sure...All I can say is that business is pretty good at the ranch. Unlike a lot of places where the area is a destination and the businesses compete for the attention of visitors, the L.C. Ranch and the Falcons Ledge are destinations in themselves...so they really don't affect each other any more than a similar ranch would in California, Idaho, or Colorado. From what I've seen there is no comparison between the ponds/lakes (and fishing) at the L.C. Ranch and those at Falcons Ledge in quantity, size, or quality (sorry Howard B. and Falcons Ledge fans). There are more than 20 fishable ponds on the L.C. fed by two different drainages and several cold springs. The largest pond is 45 feet deep (I've had my Ranger bass boat on it before), The ponds are much older and are well established. Anyways, the ranch is a very beautiful, magical, and special place to me. It is very full of life. I feel lucky to have spent as time there as I have. Most anyone who has been there will know what I mean.
[signature]