Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replica Mount ?
My Grandpa landed a 40+ pound Mack this weekend and my Dad would like to get a replica mount done for him for my Grandpa's 80th birthday this year.

Are there any good Utah based taxidermist that do replicas?

Thanks
[signature]
Don't know about Utah-based ones, but the best known replica maker is King Sailfish Mounts. They do an extensive list of freshwater fish, including Lake Trout, for about $12 an inch. All you need is a detailed photo of the fish.

http://www.kingsailfishmounts.com/freshw...b374afc9dd
[signature]
Rick's trophy mounts..these guys do killer work!!! and they are on the west coast.

http://www.trophytroutguide.com/taxidermy.htm
[signature]
bob Berhart in Buena Vista colorado is Colorados top lake trout guy, he actually has molds of the past few state lake trout. he is the best, shoot me an email if you want to get ahold of him, btw congrats on the 40!!! [url "mailto:bluemesa11@yahoo.com"]bluemesa11@yahoo.com[/url]
[signature]
Just an FYI, if his birthday is this year, it probably won't be back in time as they can take a long time.
[signature]
Look up Dan Johnson in Syracuse! His company is called Wilderness Taxidermy I think. Excellent work both with replicas and skin mounts. I don't see any value in replicas myself and I wouldn't pay for one but they can be cool looking. I prefer the authenticity of a skin mount. I only care about the real thing and even then it has to be top quality. I did a mount at a place called Wildlife memories on 90th ish south, that place is horrible, they did horrific work!
[signature]
I have a Mack done by Jerry Chivers in salt lake. Fantastic!!! He has some of the mounts at sportsmans warehouse.

Chivers, Jerry

Address:

966 Charlton Cir
Salt Lake City UT 84106-2226
Contact Info:

Jerry Chivers
Phone: (801) 466-1944

[signature]
For lake trout, pike, or other large freshwater fish I would go replica, as they all look pretty much the same anyway. For more colorful and dimension -critical fish such as brook trout, golden trout ,etc, skin mount is the only option in my opinion.
[signature]
Go with Jerry Chivers. He has been doing these for 30 years and is the best artist that I have ever seen when it comes to fish. The detail on his mounts are fantastic. Just ignore his engaging personality, he is the best !!!
Here is another plug for Dan Johnson at Wilderness Taxidermy. His shop is in Syracuse...1242 S 1250 W

His phone number is 801-540-0456

He has won some pretty prestigious fish awards...and he's amazing with an airbrush!

Also, way to go on the fish!!! That's a pig! I would love to see some pictures and hear the story...Nice work!
[signature]