Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floating Grand Mesa, Colorado.
Reading some other’s reports had me craving some brook trout. So, off I went on my merry way to look for some. This is my first year extensively fishing the Grand Mesa. Many anglers are tight lipped and many just don’t know, thus I am in the exploring stage. The mountain is enormous. Most lakes with quality fish are off the beaten path. I chose a lake that has special regulations on it. This coupled with the chance at brookies, grayling, and cutthroat inspired me to bring the tube along.

[Image: 9293995722_7d3c73a210_z.jpg]

I was a little surprised to see a large group of fisherman already at the lake. They were lined up along the shore that I so wanted to fish the most. There were a couple other guys floating as well. So much for getting away from the crowds…but the fishing wasn’t too bad. Found them quickly.

[Image: 9294417828_f307099a1d_z.jpg]

[Image: 9293993288_0200ac23c7_z.jpg]

Lots and lots of cutthroat. I spent the entire trip looking, hoping, and praying for a brook trout, but it didn’t happen. Well I found a nice cutty lake nonetheless. I was also tickled to catch a couple of these, although one was very camera shy.

[Image: 9293988234_0ec0d7fb0f_z.jpg]

My fishing in these high country lakes consists of marabou jigs 99% of the time. You can see from the picture copper was the go to color today (Thanks TubeDude). The fish were right off the bottom, so the jigs really did nice. They were so aggressive that I let my second rod just dangle a jig about 15' below my tube. Many fish took that jig too.

[Image: 9293992144_f012ff509f_z.jpg]

I noticed a lot of my fellow fishermen were not having as good of luck with their fly rods.

Now for a little rant. Here is some dialogue with another angler. This is why I often prefer fish to people…why I desire remote locations.

As I was unhooking a lil’ cutthroat a guy on a tube near me mumbled (pretty loudly)
“$%#@ bait fisherman”.
I replied, “What was that sir?”
“I didn’t say anything,” he hollered back.
I sat for a moment, debating if I wanted to confront him or ignore his ignorance. My character is being called into question. No backing down now. “You could at least have the dignity to accuse me to my face instead of behind my back man,” I said.
“Bait’s not allowed on this lake”
“I’m fully aware of that. I’m not using any bait.”
“Horse $^#%, it sure looks like it”
I kicked my tube right over to him, showed him both my rods rigged with jigs. I looked at him and said, “Just because I’m out-fishing you and am using spinning rods does not mean I am breaking the law.”
He looked at me for a moment and said, “Ok” as he kicked off.

Now I know that most all fly-fisherman are standup guys and gals. Some of my best fishing buds are fly guys only. My issue is in no way with the sport of fly-fishing. My issue is that this guy thought I was purposely breaking the law, and didn’t have the guts to confront me about it. I also don’t appreciate the snobby elitist attitude, but to each his own…I guess.

As I reflected on what just happened, I was reminded that we need to treat one another honorably, even if someone fishes/looks different than us. Fishing is a humbling sport. It can be comical when we bring our haughtiness into it. Also, fellow fishermen if you see a need to bring correction to someone who is breaking the law by all means have the guts to do so, or call the poacher hotline if you’re in cell range. Complaining, name-calling, and having a snobby attitude behind their back is a shameful response. Sorry for the rant…

My feathers were a little ruffled, but the fish were there to console me. These cutthroats were fun. Many more were caught, but not photographed. It was a great learning experience with the jig as well. It’s different from the tube than it is from shore. I like it.

[Image: 9291216271_c83e9a7142_z.jpg]

[Image: 9293991392_6888ebf362_z.jpg]

[Image: 9291214311_baaeaceba3_z.jpg]

[Image: 9293990236_3dc52abd0f_z.jpg]

[Image: 9293989684_3e29fa9371_z.jpg]

It ended up being a delightful day on the water. No bruisers were caught, but the scenery and colors of the fish were most soothing. Still didn’t find any brook trout. Well there is always next time.

[Image: 9293987686_2e333120a9_z.jpg]

[Image: 9293986912_f70492d0c3_z.jpg]

May we always remember life is so short, let’s live it well.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Great report and purty pictures. Nice looking jigs too. Glad the fishies voted vor them.

Don't sweat the "Orvis dorks". A lot of them seem to feel they are the "chosen ones" and nobody else has a right to fish the same waters.

When I was living in Denver I often joined a fly flinger buddy on the South Platte below Cheeseman. That was an artificial fly water and was often well decorated with Orvis dorks...all waving their fairy wands elegantly and making sure that folks going by on the trail could see all of their pricey gear. I usually took my flyrod too, and did just fine with it thank ya.

But on a couple of trips I took my 9' "bubblechucker"...a 9' 6 weight fly rod I had built into a spinning rod. I liked to use it for fishing flies deep...dropshot style...with a sinker on the bottom and one or two flies on droppers above. I could cast my flies upstream into some hard to reach holes that were virtually unfishable with "standard" fly fishing gear. And those spots usually rewarded me with some nice fish.

I lost count of the number of times I heard Angry voices yelling at me that this was FLY FISHING ONLY. And on most occasions I did take the time to show the red faced foaming-at-the-mouth guys that I was indeed using flies only. And since I am 6'3" and two hundred and plenty pounds they usually backed down a bit when I got out of the water and they could see that I was not as wimpy as they were. On one of those occasions my fishing buddy, who had been watching me land fish after fish while he sat on a big rock, had to suggest to a couple of belligerent challengers that I was not one to trifle with and that they would be well advised to just keep on going.

Again, glad you had a good trip. Hope you have the chance to do more research on the other lakes up there...and that they all treat you well.

Copper rules.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Those are some grate looking trout, i dont no of any mountain lakes like that here in Virginia.
We also have jerk's in Va., most of the time they are the one's not catching any fish.
[signature]
Absolutely beautiful. Reminds me of our Uinta's Thank you for sharing.
Sorry about the confrontation. That is uncalled for. Something I don't understand even if I am an Orvis Dork[Wink].

There are a few waters that are "Fly Fishing" only which means fly rod, reel, line and flies.
But most are Artificial and lures which means that fly on a spinning rod totally cool.

Look forward to more post like this from you.
[signature]
I am just a St. Croix dork....[:p]
[signature]
Thats a purty lake and even more purty fish you got there sir. I've met some fly guys that are like that. When they see you outfishing them they get their leaders in a wad. But most fly flingers are a little more classy than that...just a little [Wink]
[signature]
The grand Mesa is a great place. Don't get to fish it much like I want to but it produces. The fish and wildlife office there in grand junction offers a nice little magazine/book on the grand Mesa. A good and valuable asset for fishing the Mesa. Nice fish and great pics.
[signature]
Beautiful fish and pictures. Thanks for posting your trip.

We just rode motorcycles over the Grand Mesa area on Wednesday. Amazing number of lakes and beautiful scenery. We will be going back before long to explore and fish.
[signature]