Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floating Grand Mesa, Colorado.
[#0000FF]Great report and purty pictures. Nice looking jigs too. Glad the fishies voted vor them.

Don't sweat the "Orvis dorks". A lot of them seem to feel they are the "chosen ones" and nobody else has a right to fish the same waters.

When I was living in Denver I often joined a fly flinger buddy on the South Platte below Cheeseman. That was an artificial fly water and was often well decorated with Orvis dorks...all waving their fairy wands elegantly and making sure that folks going by on the trail could see all of their pricey gear. I usually took my flyrod too, and did just fine with it thank ya.

But on a couple of trips I took my 9' "bubblechucker"...a 9' 6 weight fly rod I had built into a spinning rod. I liked to use it for fishing flies deep...dropshot style...with a sinker on the bottom and one or two flies on droppers above. I could cast my flies upstream into some hard to reach holes that were virtually unfishable with "standard" fly fishing gear. And those spots usually rewarded me with some nice fish.

I lost count of the number of times I heard Angry voices yelling at me that this was FLY FISHING ONLY. And on most occasions I did take the time to show the red faced foaming-at-the-mouth guys that I was indeed using flies only. And since I am 6'3" and two hundred and plenty pounds they usually backed down a bit when I got out of the water and they could see that I was not as wimpy as they were. On one of those occasions my fishing buddy, who had been watching me land fish after fish while he sat on a big rock, had to suggest to a couple of belligerent challengers that I was not one to trifle with and that they would be well advised to just keep on going.

Again, glad you had a good trip. Hope you have the chance to do more research on the other lakes up there...and that they all treat you well.

Copper rules.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Floating Grand Mesa, Colorado. - by jer_fishes - 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Re: [jer_fishes] Floating Grand Mesa, Colorado. - by TubeDude - 07-15-2013, 04:47 PM