Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner Muskie Fishing Setup
Hey guys!

New to the forum here. Looked around and looks like you're all a knowledgeable and nice group of people!

Really got into fishing this summer and don't have the best gear but it's still fun to me! Caught my biggest fish the other day, 5lb 19 inch large mouth bass. I was out tonight and I saw a few people, including one friend, muskie fishing with big suckers. Hooked three within 2 hours and they were huge Tiger Muskies.

After seeing this it looked like a lot of fun so I want to invest in a new and first muskie rod/reel set up but I have no idea where to start or what to look for. I'm a college student so money is tight and I want to try and purchase the set up for right around 150 if possible.

I've looked around some and always find Ugly Sticks coming up quite a bit for a nice but cheap rod. Any others?

As for a reel I've read a lot about an Abu Garcia C3 i think? Like I said I have no idea why or what's special about either of these but just from what I've read and researched so far.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much in advance!
~DanOpi
[signature]
Never muskie fish, but the combo you noted with the Ugly Stick and the C3 or C4 should be fine. That rig can handle large fish and it will give you plenty of line capacity. I'm sure someone will jump in soon with Muskie fishing experience and provide better support. There may be something better suited for the job.
[signature]
$150 budget will hinder you, but if it was me buy a shimano cardiff 300 load it up with 50-80# braid and get a 7'6-8'6 h-xh rod so you can cast muskie sized lures. Muskie fishin is an expensive hobby but they are worth every penny!!! I have some lures if you needed to buy any or h ave any more questions feel free to pm me! i would be willing to help in any way i can

Once you catch a muskie you will catch a crazy disease and wont want to fish for other species as they are bait for them big muskies
[signature]
How much more would I need to spend to be able to take the next step up? The only reason I only need an okay or fair set up is because I don't fish every single day and I don't currently have a boat. There are nice muskie lakes around me that have nice shore/dock spots however.

What is a h-xh rod? And is it just sturdy or why is it recommended for muskie fishing?
(Ahhh heavy to extra heavy rod?) Any recommendation?

Any certain brand of braided line you recommend?

Same thing as the rod... What makes the shimano reel special or good for muskie fishing?
(Only have ever used closed face and open faced reels. Never a bait caster.)

And i was mostly thinking of rigging up suckers with a float since i'm from shore most of the time. Would you also get a few lures to try from shore?

Really appreciate the help guys!

edit: I'm heading out to Fleet Farm/Gander Mountain pretty soon here! Really anxious to get it set up. Going out tonight again.
[signature]
I would say spend $100 on a rod and $100 on a reel. I believe if you spend a little more at first and get a good rod and reel it will last longer..

I would go with a heavy action rod for what you plan to do...Heavy is just the action and will allow you to throw 3/4-3oz lures no problem.

Shimano makes good reels and the cardiff is a great reel for the price, having a bait caster will allow you to retrieve muskie lures with ease as big lures have a lot of drag and can chew up the insides of spinning reels.

As far as lures, I would pick up a couple size 8 bucktails, some gliders (rapala glidin raps) and some crankbaits.

Gander mountain does carry muskie rods and they sell some good ones for under a $100..
[signature]
What's the difference between the Cardiff 400 and 300?

And rod brand isn't super important just as long as it's a heavy action rod?

And this set up will work well with a sucker and float rig correct? Along with the lures?

Is it common to muskie fish with lures from shore or a dock?

Is this exclusively a muskie rod/reel or can I use it for other sorts of fishing?

Thanks!
[signature]
i would go with the cardiff 300 a as the 400a is a lot bigger! as far as rod, its like anything else the more you spend the better the quality! a gander mountain rod will work just fine... This combo will work for all kinds of species and will be good for fishing sucker rigs!

shore fishing is common and many anglers dont have boats! muskies like sturcture look for trees, stumps, rockpile etc and you will generally find muskies!
[signature]
I agree with the aformentioned comment about spending a little more on equipment. However, the Ugly Stik is definately an exception to the rule. For a rod under 50 bucks, they really are top notch and super tough. I strongly recommend that rod. The extra bills you save going with an ugly stik, you can invest into a quality reel, which is money well spend.
[signature]
Besides a rod/reel and lures you'll need to consider investing in release tools.

Large knotless net (Frabil are really good)
Knipex hook cutters (Pricey but well worth the money)
Needle nose pliers
Jaw spreaders
Tape measure or Muskie Bump Board to measure

As has been mentioned fishing for Muskie can be expensive...

Good luck
[signature]
So I checked two Gander Mountains, Dicks Sporting Goods, and Sports Authority. Not one carried the Cardiff series. I talked for a while with two of the guys at Gander Mountain and they recommended the Abu Garcia C4. I have also read reviews online that say this is an okay reel to use. As for a rod, I splurged and went with an extra heavy gander mountain 8' rod. I went with 80 lb power pro braided line.

Should of really looked up online or read some before casting with it. Backlashed right away and took some time to get out! But I've got it figured out a little better now.

I hope getting the Abu Garcia was not a mistake! I spent quite a bit more then I intended in the end and that's without lures but like you guys said it's an expensive sport. I got a protection plan on both and rod and reel and so the guy who helped me told me to smash into a wall if I really regret buying it and just send it in to get a gift card back.

Will start to acquire some lures in the next few weeks here but for now i'll be using floats and suckers.

I really appreciate all the input and help guys! Great site and great community!

Thanks again!
[signature]
like k2 mentioned release tools are vital to ensure better overall release of these awesome beasts.
[signature]