Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon Shore Fishing
I'm in Salt Lake for the week and thought it would be fun to give East Canyon a try. I've never fished East Canyon before and was wondering if there is any shore access available other than at the state park. I'd like to catch either trout or smallmouth. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
[signature]
Hoosier, I haven't been up to EC since just after the ice melted. But if EC is anything like all the other lakes in north Utah right now, the water level is probably pretty low. That will expose quite a bit of fishable shore line along the south east side. There are several places you can park off the side of the road, but the hike down from the road level to the water can be pretty steep and dicey in most places. If you go during the week, early in the morning can be OK, but on a week end, the chop and wake put up by the ski boats and wave runners can ruin fishing. I've found that for me in my little 14' Tin-Can, the best fishing is just after the thaw in early spring, and a few weeks before the winter freeze. The air and water tem tend to keep the skiers at home. Good luck to you if you decide to give it a try.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Don't neglect the Crappie that are in there while you're there -- they are pretty decent size and make a fine feast. Like has been said, the water is low, so virtually the entire lake is shoreline accessible. I've found trout just about everywhere, but I've had the best success for SMB at the far end of the lake. Go to the east corner until you run out of road. Poppers early and in the evening have produced some amazing fish for me this year.
[signature]
I had a great time there. I found a long rod length is very helpful for the high banks to control swim bait well. Great place to fish!

Pictures of my fish caught from a high bank in this related post:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...92;#748692
[signature]
I started off by the dam fishing for smallies last night. Wasn't having any luck and the people around me were catching trout so I tossed out some powerbait. Caught one rainbow about 16 inches. About 7:30 I moved to another spot and tried for smallies again. Fished till dark using tube jig, drop shot, and spinners but never even had a bite.
[signature]