Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper fishing in Colorado
I fish for Wipers here in Utah and remember that there use to be a site call Wiper Madness in Colorado. Does the site still exist or did the name change? Last week I was fishing Willard, a local lake that has wipers, and caught one through the ice. Does anyone fish for wipers through the ice in Colorado? WH2<br><br>
Has anyone been fishing for wipers lately anywhere in Colorado? If you have, what lures have you been using and what are the names of the lakes you fish ? WH2<br><br>
One more time, it's been a year since the last time I have asked the wiper question. I've been looking at a web site that tells were all the wipers have been stocked there in Colorado, has anyone there ever fished for them? If so, which lake and how did you do? Thanks for any info. WH2
[signature]
It had a walleye portion too. I think it went bye bye a few years ago. Pueblo, North Sterling, or Cherry Creek might be your best bets for Wipers. Lonetree also has wipers but guess the food is plintiful in there and the bite is slow.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply Eric, the site I was talking about, Wiper Madness, I think you are right, it is gone now. I found this new site that list every fish in the lakes of every state, check it out, [url "http://www.dto.com/fwfishing/species/map.jsp?speciesid=341"]http://www.dto.com/fwfishing/species/map.jsp?speciesid=341[/url]

The reason for my first message is because I was hoping to learn some information that might help me here in Utah. I guess you don't chase those wipers but you should think about giving it a try, you won't regret it. WH2
[signature]
Love fishing for wipers actually. I plan on going to Union Reservoir on Labor Day. It is a No-Wake reservoir, but is only a couple hundred acres. Last year at this time, we got into the wipers pretty good trolling for the suspended one. A good wiper lure if they suspend is a Bill Dance Swimmin' Image pulled on leadcore line. In the spring we tend to get up in 6' of water and either pull spinners/bouncers right under the boat or any jig/bait combo. Jigs with curly tails also do good when water is being let in reservoirs in the spring. The warm water coming in really gets them going.

I'm no expert when it comes to wipers as the biggest one I've ever caught is only 5 lbs. I have cuaght hundreds of them, but none really huge yet!

Jay Stafford is the Colorado Division of Wildlife biologist for the Northeastern part of Colorado. He is also a wiper nut. He might be able to help you with a presentation if you know the water temp, bait fish situation and the lake structure. Try finding his information on the Colorado Wildlife website.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Eric, Utah only has one lake that has wipers in it and right now because of the drought we can't even fish it, at least from a boat. What color are the swimmin' Image lures that you use? How fast do you troll?
Wow, a 5 lber is a big one, at least for Utah, the state record here is less than 8 lbs. I know they get a lot bigger but Willard is too shallow and the water gets too hot in the summer to grow them big. I hope you do good this weekend for wipers, I wish I could be there. WH2
[signature]
The white ones look like shad and those have worked pretty good. We also use the gold ones as they look like carp minnows. The perch/fire tiger ones always work good too. Especially algae or muddy water. The also make a salt water series which is a little bigger which works well too.
[signature]
http://www.goodlifeoutdoors.com/lytle/albums/main.htm I don't know how big those wipers get in Colorado but check out these hogs from Nebraska. Wiperslayer and I are thinking about making a trip there in the spring and pay a guide to show us how to catch some of those monsters. WH2
[signature]
Wow! That's really not too far from here. I hear great things about Red Willow.
[signature]
Some of the better lakes I have fished for Wipers are Union, Cherry Creek, Pueblo, Jackson, and North Sterling. The biggest wiper I have caught was just over 10 lbs. at Cherry Creek. One big fish technique I have had success with over the years has been casting the Cherry Creek dam with crankbaits. The key is to cast within inches of the rocks, the closer the better. It seems like the wipers cruise along the dam ambushing prey that darts out from the rocks. I usually only catch one or two a day this way but they are almost always over 5 lbs.

I wrote an article earlier this year about the wiper fishing at Union Reservoir. To read it go to [url "http://www.coloradofisherman.com/union_reservoir.htm"]http://www.coloradofisherman.com/union_reservoir.htm[/url]. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email me or post to this board. I enjoy sharing info with fellow anglers.
[signature]
Thanks! If you like places with no wake you should try Aurora Reservoir. They have an excellent wiper population that is very underfished, not to mention the excellent fishing for trout, walleye, perch, and bass. I talked to a DOW biologist this summer who told me that there are a ton of 5-10lb wipers in Aurora.
[signature]