Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walked on Berry
Went to strawberry sunday,Mud Creek. walked out 15' drilled a hole 3" ice but not good solid ice. went out 50', drilled, still 3", looked down the hole to see I was only over 4' of water, Ice did not look safe any farther out. The gentalman who takes the parking money thought I was a fool and asked my wife if I had life insurance.

Stoped by the marina, a couple of the coves had ice in them but lots of open water.
[signature]
You are either one brave, or crazy soul to brave the berry with only 3-4 inches in the coves. I'm just glad you didn't go for an end of November swim!
[signature]
Na just stupid for ice!
[signature]
Man you a crazy man!!!! I am looking forward to ice fishing the berry, but not that excited. We will have to start calling you "The Extreme"
[signature]
Kudos to the first man ever to walk on water...[laugh]

It just means that it's gonna be great ice in a week or two.

I'm excited for the great ice.
[signature]
anyone got a map of were the warm spings are
[signature]
Cool . Hard water on the Berry . Did you catch any fish ? Hope it is capped over good by christmas . I get that week off .
[signature]
I think I would have a donut around my waist! OH wait I already do!! Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Way to go HFT! I love this time of year and like you, I can't wait to get out on the Berry to try my luck once again. I've been tracking the temps at Scofield and Berry, trying to get a grip on when there's been plenty of ice. Up until Nov. 28 there'd been seven straight days of below freezing temps at both, so I'm not surprised you got out a little ways. I'd really like to be able to get out on the Berry by Christmas. In any case, it sounds like Scofield was the place to be on Saturday; I've talked to several friends who went and caught a lot of fish.

I don't know if you guys have seen this website, but this is where I've been tracking the temps at the lakes. Have fun!

[url "http://www.met.utah.edu/droman/states/UT_state_frame.html"]http://www.met.utah.edu/droman/states/UT_state_frame.html[/url]

-Archie

P.S. Thanks for the tips you gave me on Saturday HFT. I haven't used the pole or crickets I bought from you yet, but I will!
[signature]
Yes , there is a few of us using that website . Thanks !!

[url "http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=SFDU1"]http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=SFDU1[/url]

Welcome aboard !!!!!
[signature]
What are you crazy? Next thing you know you'll be running with scissors!
no scissors yet,we do shoot rubber bands at each other in hopes of putting an eye out.

no fish either, just had ice rods with us. do you know how hard it is to cast a 3' rod?
[signature]
I'm pretty sure I was the first person to ice fish the Berry last year. I even scared myself. If I remember right, it was about a week after Thanksgiving. Mudcreek and Chicken creek were still open water. I have always found the best early season ice (and fishing) in the last bay off highway 40 just as you climb the pass heading towards Duschene (I'm not sure what the bay is called). There was only a slab of ice that extended about 60 yards into a corner of the bay. I drilled a test hole and the ice was about 2.5" and solid. I went out about 15 yards from shore in about 5' of water and drilled a couple of holes. The ice was about 2". I sat down and held very still and caught many fish...about 10 per hour. By the way I am about 250 lbs!! I did use safety equipment.
[signature]
Where do they allow you to park over there? I know the highway is out. What about the road back to the dam?
[signature]
I haven't been there this year, since I moved to Wyoming, but in the past there has been a large parking area at the turn off to the road that goes to the dam. In the past, there has not been a 'pay box' located there. I've never been ticketed for parking there.
[signature]
Sounds like you are talking about the Soldier Creek Dam/Aspen Grove turn off area. That's a great spot for regular fishing-never iced fished it myself, but it sounds like a great spot!
[signature]
I have found that almost all spots at Strawberry/Soldier Creek have a fee now . If it is a day use area it has a fee . Only place I can say on highway 40 that a fee is not required is the view area over between the ladders and Sage Creek bay and I have never been ticketed for parking there in the winter . Use to be able to fish up by the dam day use area with no fees but it has changed now along with the Soldier Creek bay area you are referring to .
[signature]
I only know that bay as Skunk Bay. That was the first place I ever fished at Strawberry and didn't get a bite! The friends that were with me had the same results. We coined it Skunk Bay and it has stuck with us for years. BTW, we always park at that turnout and drive the 4 wheelers or snowmobiles out onto the lake there. It's great access when there's snow on the ground - not very good when dry (when you've got an ATV or SM).

-Archie
[signature]