Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island park fly fishing??
Me and my family are staying in island park and we are all fly fisherman. We asked the lady at the motel what river we were by. She said we were directly on the snake river! I was so excited to here that i could finally fish the snake!! But I was wondering what part of the snake this was? I was also wondering what flies the fish are interested in? And any other fly fishing rivers around the island park area. Much appreciated, thank you
[signature]
I love that area. I like the Coffee Pot area too. I went in Sept and had red Koke bumping into my legs. You have Henry's Fork and Last Chance up there too.
Hatches: Caddis, Stoneflies, Leadwing Olive, Gray Drake, Brown Drake, Green Drake, Pale Morning Duns, Hoppers, Ants
Droppers, Haresears, PT, Prince Nymphs.
Where exactly are you staying? Water could be low with this heat and watch out for bears.
[signature]
there is a lot of mis information in the above post. brown and green drake hatches ended weeks ago. pmd hatches have been below minimal. caddis on the wane too. there was no gray drake hatch this year on the lower river. there is never a gray drake hatch on the upper river (ranch water). lead wing olive? in 33 years fishing the fork, never heard that one before. must be a rookie term...shrug...

the water is anything but low...its flowing at 1700+ cfs out of island park dam. normally its around 1200 this time of year. the last thing you want to do is wade a place like box canyon at these flows. be careful wading the ranch waters too. the water may look mild, but it has a lotta force at these high flows.

this time of year is transitory in hatches, thus terrestrials would be a good bet. your best bet is to check with the fly shops and see what is happening at the moment.

blind nymphing last chance and ranch waters is pretty much a waste of time. target rising fish. have fun!
He didn't say when so I just copy and pasted the Hatch chart from a Site. Gotta admit, I have never heard of a lead wing either.

I have fished these spots a little , and always caught fish, but you have way more experience here.

As far as flows, as I said I fished Coffee Pot in Sept.

I agree totally about checking local shops. I always hit the shops and ask, specially Trout Hunter ( and to say hi to Grizz[Wink])

And welcome to the site whitefish. Way to make an entrance and thanks for the info.
[signature]
he didnt say when?? let's see if we can boost your reading comprehension...

"Me and my family are staying in island park and we are all fly fisherman. We asked the lady at the motel what river we were by. She said we were directly on the snake river!"

what part of that dont you understand that he was there on 7/24 when he made his post? durrrrrrr....

now why would you post a hatch chart that did not have hatch dates? did you even look to see if there were any? thats the blind leading the blind of which neither even have eye sockets.

just how brilliant is it to compare flows from your last visit in a september of who knows when, but it's now july of this year? dont you think it would be pragmatic to check usgs for current flows? pathetic.

when one does not really know what they are talking about, its best to not post at all instead of giving totally erroneous information. this is why i said his best bet for current bugs and conditions is to check with the fly shops.
but then...youre a 'guide'...*chortle*....
[signature]
FlyGoddess, you can give me information anytime. You are the bomb! I have seen your fish and you have this figured out.
[signature]
even wrong information? *cracks up*
[signature]
It would be awesome to see you and Flygoddess in some kind of fly fishing competition on the Henry's Fork.
[signature]
[quote whitefished]even wrong information? *cracks up*[/quote]

I would rather read someones post who's trying to help then someone who's condescending attitude belittles other posters. While I appreciate your info, being kind while doing so would make you look like a better person. A little humility can go a long ways. JMHO [Image: beaten.gif]
[signature]
[quote whitefished]he didnt say when?? let's see if we can boost your reading comprehension...

"Me and my family are staying in island park and we are all fly fisherman. We asked the lady at the motel what river we were by. She said we were directly on the snake river!"

what part of that dont you understand that he was there on 7/24 when he made his post? durrrrrrr....

You are right, I TOTALLY missed the date with my "casual" answer. A group of us planned a trip this year up that way and we were talking about it for months.

now why would you post a hatch chart that did not have hatch dates? did you even look to see if there were any? thats the blind leading the blind of which neither even have eye sockets.

As I posted, it is a HATCH chart, which usually means bugs that CAN be found. Granted it was not zeroed down to exact time, just a general chart.

just how brilliant is it to compare flows from your last visit in a september of who knows when, but it's now july of this year? dont you think it would be pragmatic to check usgs for current flows? pathetic.

I don't believe I compared flows at all, in fact I just said "COULD" be low because of this hot dry year.

when one does not really know what they are talking about, its best to not post at all instead of giving totally erroneous information. this is why i said his best bet for current bugs and conditions is to check with the fly shops.

You are absolutely right. I will try refrain from casual interaction.

but then...youre a 'guide'...*chortle*..
.[/quote]

I am glad I can amuse you.

Now as to not Hi Jack a thread, we have a thing here called a PM which I welcome if you have a personal problem with me.
But if you are just looking to take me down a notch, you definitely gave it your best shot at the expense of the O.P.
[signature]
Whitefished,
I have rec'd complaints about your posts. I am not going to remove them (other moderators might), but I am going to ask you to abide by the unwritten rule of this forum.....be civil. Your tone will make you no friends on the site. I do hope you both abide by the above mentioned suggestions and also become a regular contributor. Mike
[signature]
Gee that whitefished guy is "smart" *chortle* *giggle* *puke*
[signature]
[quote kandersonSLC]It would be awesome to see you and Flygoddess in some kind of fly fishing competition on the Henry's Fork.[/quote]

My moneys on the guy who fishes the Ranch EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I know Ed very well and he's really a nice guy.....either this Ed is an imposter or it's really Whitefish ED and he's just pissed because the Ranch is fishing poorly right now and he had to head back to western Idaho. [Wink]

Nothing against you FG, luv ya!
[signature]
I agree totally BS. If I could be fishing it for 33 years I too think I would have been able to give a better assessment. Hopefully, however, without the attitude. But what goes around comes around[Wink]
[signature]
I Think I've seen this guy. He has a really cool "River Runs Through It" hat, Ada County plates, and stands on the deck at Last Chance speaking Latin slang to the other Orvis models at about sunset.Never seen him actually throw a line though.
[signature]
[quote Bob55]I Think I've seen this guy. He has a really cool "River Runs Through It" hat, Ada County plates, and stands on the deck at Last Chance speaking Latin slang to the other Orvis models at about sunset.Never seen him actually throw a line though.[/quote]

LOL!!!!! Obviously you've never seen Whitefish Ed.
[signature]