Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swan Falls
The bass fishing was sure hot yesterday at Swan Falls. Two of us only fished for three hours and we released 74 fish. We had many more hook-ups, but we didn't count them unless we got them out of the water. I have to admit, I was out fished by my buddy Dru. He schooled me! We have never caught that many over 12".
[signature]
there are big bass at swan you just have to decide if you want to catch numbers or if you want to go after the big ones big smallies are a hole different bred i have even had one break 12lb test one day above the damn i was horsing him in but still that is what 12lb test if for. If i want to catch number i will usually fish senko or tubes if i want to catch big ones i will fish black spider jigs with black double tail grubs as a trailer elken lures's make my favorite jig and they are made locally. I try and fish swan 3 or 4 times a week most of the time bellow the damn but some times above to the fishing is great down there this time of year and i hear alot of people telling me they are catching some nice perch now to above the damn even off the dock
[signature]
I was there last night as well. Caught to many fish to even count. Launched around six pulled off about 10. Water is really clear but there was a ton of weeds. As the sun went down top water was unbelievable, almost a fish every cast.
[signature]
Now I really have to get down there, and it is so close to me. I need to take the pontoon out for some evening fishing and some night catfishing and get my fishing light in the water. Am I still correct that artificial light used to be illegal in Idaho, but that it is now ok to put a light in the water? You still can't snag fish, but you can entice them to bite your jig as they swim around the bait fish.

Also, has anyone had much luck getting crawdads above or below the dam? An article on the web said people have caught crawdads up to 12 inches long in the snake, although that seems a little big and I can't guess where those monsters would be (although a pm of that magical place would be awesome.)
[signature]
I have seen people using lights at night when fishing for crappie, and I couldn't find anything about them being prohibited so I assume they're legal.

As far as crawdads at Swan Falls, they're all over the place in the Snake. I have never tried trapping them there, but I have had them mess with my bait. I also caught a channel cat there with an 8" crawdad in its stomach a couple of years ago.
[signature]