Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp on the fly?
Ok i may have asked this before but i I'm hearing good things about catching a carp on a fly rod so I'm convinced! The only problem is I have no idea where to start... Are there special carp flies? Is the Jordan river a good spot to go? I did a little research on google but I figured I would ask here since I know alot of you are into "carping". also will my 6wt sage be strong enough? Pm's are great and if anyone wants a rookie to tag along with them I would love some professional help! Thanks all
[signature]
Ive only caught a few but heres what I did...

I sight fish for them along the shore. If you see them feeding be as careful as you can and sneak up. Drop your fly a foot or two in front of them and watch for your line to move. I basically stick my rod out a dip my fly in front of them. No casting or indicator..using a tight line technique. sowbugs worked best in my situation but im sure lots of different flies will work.

I'm a rookie too but hope this helps.
[signature]
Ok so it's basically euro nymphing?
[signature]
Not sure what Euro nymphing is..

Heres another 2 cents.. Im fishing a Pond where they are usually rooting around right at the shore with their noses in the mud so I just drop a fly in their path. sometimes they take it but quite often they reject it just like a trout would. Just experiment. the hard part is trying not to spook them. Other then that their really not all that hard to catch.
[signature]
Go to Lindon boat harbor on UL in the morning. Depending on how early you get there, you can catch LMB along the shoreline in the shadows from the trees; they'll take the same flies as the carp, so don't neglect them. (unless you don't like catching LMB, of course) Walk along the shoreline heading north, and then west as it goes out into the main lake. You can walk both sides of the dike and since you're so high, you can site fish pretty easily on both sides. Early on, they seem to get into giant groups and cruise the surface, slurping up all sorts of stuff. A 16 caddis or foam ant (something that has good floating ability), will work all day long. Drop a yellow/chartreuse or Orange glo bug under the dry fly about a foot. If you want to get real frisky, put a small olive or black wooly bugger on as your third fly. Make sure you're non weighted and small on the wooly bugger. They'll sometimes snag it while it's slowly falling.

I've been there to do this maybe a dozen times this year and have never been skunked. Take a second pole and cut a chunk of carp and toss it out. There are some massive channel cats cruising around in there too, which is always fun. If you do this, make sure it is a BIG hook to keep the mudders off, although they will still get hooked every once in a while.

Your 6 wt should be just fine. I fish for them with my 5 wt most of the time, and unless you're really crazy, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking your rod.
[signature]