Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
great fishing on the jordan
Hey guys, I've been fishing the jordan river a lot this last month. And I been having a great time. The catfishing is awesome. Every time I've gone to fish there, I always been getting my limit in just a few hours. The bait I've been using is punch bait. The punch bait out fishes worms, cut bait and a lot of other baits I've been using. The punch bait catches all sizes of channel catfish. I've been catch catfish 10 to 26 inches on it. Fishing has been great there, go out there and give it a try. Good luck guys
[signature]
Nice job man.
[signature]
Nicely done.

What's punch bait?
[signature]
Good catchin. Do you eat those things? I would think that with all the effluent that drains into Utah lake from heavy industry, farms and homes that those fish would be loaded with toxins.
[signature]
If you want to know you can give me a pm and a will answer. We all have own little secretsSmile
[signature]
I've never tried yet. But I kept a few to give try. I only keep catfish between 18 and 23 inches. To me they taste better. And I feel it helps the total catfish population.
[signature]
I agree, not to mention when rain washes off the roads and drains in there[Wink]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Same ol' same 'ol. Because Utah Lake is shallow it gets muddy when the wind blows. To most people this equates to polluted. There have been PCB advisories for large catfish and carp, but all other species get a pretty clean bill of health from routine checkups. A lot better than Jordanelle and a few other "clean" lakes...which have problems with mercury, arsenic and other nasty stuff.

Because the lake is shallow and gets lots of runoff from several sources it is flushed several times each year. It is not the toxic waste pond that folks like to think it is.

Take some time online to read the various findings from the [url "http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/"]FISH ADVISORIES[/url] website.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Jordan River isn't on the list[shocked][Wink]
[signature]
Nice work! Glad you're letting the bigger ones go so they can get bigger and continue to spawn. I fish the Jordan quite often and appreciate other 'catters practicing selective harvest so we can continue to have good cattin.
[signature]
Do you buy your bait or mix it yourself? Any special hooks used to hold the bait better?
[signature]
I buy my own bait. I get a plain #4 treble hook and push it down into the punch bait and out comes a nice glob of good ole catfish dinner
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Jordan River isn't on the list[shocked][Wink][/quote]

[#0000FF]Most studies and advisories include the Jordan with Utah Lake. Same water. And until it reaches the last few miles within Salt Lake there is not much change in water composition. Not sure what the addition of tires, shopping carts, homeless folks waste and occasional dead bodies do to it...but I'm guessing there is no improvement to the water quality.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
PCB's? I usually try to avoid those.
[signature]
[quote tubbyama]PCB's? I usually try to avoid those.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Me too. Pretty tough to fillet them out of the fish. But they do concentrate in the innards and fat so a lot of it is removed during cleaning. Still, best to not eat carp or big catfish. But plenty of other good (safe) eating from that lake.

Some local families have lived off fish from Utah Lake for generations without any health problems. And all of the research I have conducted has never turned up any verifiable medical situations attributable to eating fish from Utah Lake. In fact, there are more PCBs in ocean caught salmon at the fish market than in any fish from Utah Lake. And ditto for a lot of canned tuna. But the big commercial fishing interests have better lobbies than Utah Lake sports fishermen.

Still, it remains for each person to make their own personal decisions about what they want to eat. Kinda funny though that some folks get all riled up about Utah Lake fish...while they are halfway through their second pack of cigarettes for the day.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][quote tubbyama]PCB's? I usually try to avoid those.[/quote]

[#0000ff] funny though that some folks get all riled up about Utah Lake fish...while they are halfway through their second pack of cigarettes for the day.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

I hear that.
[signature]