Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elk Unit 63 Help
Hey everyone!

For many of us elk season is right around the corner. For me it's this Thursday! I've decided to hunt for elk in unit 63 due to the fact I'll be gone with work through a lot of October (when most units open) and I have an antelope tag for November (two birds, one stone?).

I've been driving all around throughout the unit, though mostly south of Hwy 33. I've been especially concentrating effort near farm fields. I have yet to bump any elk or see any fresh sign. I'm not sure if I'm going about this all wrong. Anyone have any experience with this unit? It's a huge unit with a large piece non-accessible DOE land and I'm feeling a bit lost.
[signature]
Hunted for years. Always killed a cow in there every year. I have been all over that ground. I prefer to to stay north. I've cut elk and nice antelope all the way from duboise to Howe. I've also seen them as far south as Roberts but I have to say the further north you are the better off you will be. Be careful of your zone boundaries too. Easy to get out of your area up there.
[signature]
Thanks chrome_junky! I have an antelope hunt int he northern half in November. I'm hoping to bump some elk then (if I haven't tagged out by then).
[signature]
Well, How did you do? I have two buddies that were up north 1 got a 3x3 and the other got a Cow. We are going to hunt 53 at first but might move up that way in September.
[signature]
I was hoping to report back with success, but that is not the completely the case. I've seen some cows a couple of times (great news!), but wasn't able to get a good shot at them (not so great news!). I went out last weekend but the only thing I saw were a bunch of other hunters.

I believe the dynamics of the hunt have changed significantly with the pressure from other hunters and so I need to come up with a new game plan.

PM me with any details you'd like and I'll share what I've learned.
[signature]
Snow.
[signature]
^This is my new plan. As I don't think there is any other viable option at this point. As stated earlier I have an antelope tag in November, so this will hopefully allow me to hunt both at the same time.

I'm assuming once the snow hits you can find them just about any place wondering over to their winter grounds?
[signature]
Yep and lots of them.
[signature]
Thats good because my wife has been begging me to make some jerky and I don't want to let her down Smile
[signature]
How late is your hunt open .
[signature]
It goes until the end of December. After August it's cow only though (which is fine by me!).

And my antelope is all through November.
[signature]
Sweet good luck .
[signature]