Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kolob report Sunday
My older brother and I make a the long journey around to Kolob Sunday morning. We left at 6 and made it to the gates at 7:15 and didn't have to unload the toys. The road was mostly clear all the way to the lake with a little more snow around the lake and the cabins.

We were on the ice by 8 and the fishing was okay for about 30 minutes and then started to die off. After one fish every hour we worked around the lake trying to find some active fish. We tried the dam but that was open water and the ice didn't look safe. We headed over to the inlet and tried the rocky east side but no bites. The ice was around 2.5" at this spot but we moved to check a couple spots around the island and the cove. The ice was about the same and the same no bites or action. We couldn't get out deeper because a huge crack was forming and it was cool to watch. That was the loudest ice I've ever heard any place. Well after spending a couple hours checking new places we finally headed back to the first place we tried and walla 2 fish right of the bat. We didn't get anything for another hour so we checked that area and didn't get anything. We ended up fishing for another couple hours and ended up with two doubles and a couple more fish. They all average the usual 14-18" and nothing big. The most talked about fish was a 18" tooth pick of a fish. No cuts only bows.

The ice lost about a inch from 9 to 2 and was about 40 something all day. It was a nice day to be fishing but if it keeps up I'll be taking the fly pole next time.

If any of you die hard fly fishermen still want to do some fishing the dam had a 100 by 30 yards of open water with some good action on top.

Pictures coming up later.
[signature]
nice report! hey do they allow ice fishing all winter up there???

i can see us renting a couple snowmobiles . . .

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sm
[signature]
yes. Kolob is open year round to fishing...
[signature]
Southernman if were going to rent snowmobiles I won't be doing any fishing. I'll be playing on the sled and enjoying the snow.

We usually take quads into most places unless it's someplace nobody takes sleds into or the powder is to deep. The only place I'd even think we'd need sleds is Boulder but that's just because I don't know how the trails are.
[signature]

[signature]
These are the pictures from Kolob. The dark one is of about 100 elk in the park. Only a couple spikes in the entire group. The other one is of course kolob.

Enjoy
[signature]
I don't know why , but I like a little snow on my ice .Just something about clear ice and walking on it . I'll take your word on them elk .
[signature]
Ya that picture sucks but if you look in the center of the meadow you can somewhat spot there tan behinds. Its easy to tell what is snow (bright white) and the tan is a light white. This is the herd that somebody poached a elk out of this year.

Ya fishing on that slick ice really sucks. I had to chase down my auger cover today with all that wind blowing. I don't suggest trying to run on slick ice.

Last year, the herd had a couple decent satellite bulls but didn't really get a great shot of the herd bull. These elk are dumb, they just stand right of the side of the road and act more like cattle. I've watched this herd grow from 20-30 elk 5 years ago to about 100 head. I'll see if I can find a better picture someplace.
[signature]
hey hedge is that pic of the elk in the park below kolob? i guess they winter there. i remember a year ago in the spring seeing a large herd right on the lake in the back and i followed them where i shouldnt have, hehe on the private property on the north side. not to far just checkin them out. did they catch the poacher? by the way i could see almost all the elk in the pic just cant see any antler or such.
[signature]
It's the meadow with the old coral on the north side and there was only a couple spikes in the herd. I don't think they did but they didn't even find the poachers I turned in on Cedar Mtn. They rarely catch anybody for poaching. Those are the same herd but they move farther into the private section so very few people get to hunt them. Last time I checked it was about $250 for a trespass permit.

The herd will be around for another month and then they move farther into the park. They hang around the lake for about a month and move out after the masses start coming back in.
[signature]