Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wiper on the fly w/ wiperhunter2
Went out with wiperhunter2 this morning to slaughter Willard, and man, it was a great day. He was trolling two rods and I had one rod trolling and my 10 wt w/ type VII line jerking and popping along behind us. I don't think wiper hunter thought I had a snowballs chance at catching anything, but... Whammo! First Wiper on the fly, check!

We nailed a half dozen Wipers, a SMB, and a decent Walleye before heading in at 1:00 . It got windy -- real windy -- for about an hour and it blew us around pretty good. Bad enough that it flipped the boat around and tangled all 4 lines at one, and my fly line met Mr. Prop Blade... I didn't like that damn line anyhow -- too hard to cast![sly]

Many thanks to WH2, that guy is a fishing fool if there ever was one!
[signature]
Great Job guys. Wiper has offered me a ride as well, but, well hasn't happened yet (my fault)

I would pick Type VII as well but, it is so thin, I don't think it is hard to cast at all. Now I know it is a good choice[Wink]

Keep up the great work!
[signature]
Nice, I need to get up there. All my sinking line is on my 5/6 wt. I gotta get some for my 8 wt.
[signature]
Ummm, you still haven't caught one on the fly, IMHO.

While, I think it's cool you caught wipers. If I read right you were dragging a popper behind a boat, bouncing the surface, like it was off shore bait. That makes it gear. Yeah, I know semantics but... Now that you have caught one trolling, go; cast , strip, strip, strip, SET, and really catch one on the fly. It's a freakin gas.

Again, no offense intended.
[signature]
Wow.

It's hard to effectively cast, strip, set, etc when you're on a boat that is moving, with three other lines coming off all angles of the boat, with the wind bowing 20mph in your face, while trying to stay on your feet while the boat dips and sways in 4ft waves. I was using a type 7 sinking line; if you were even half the fisherman you think you are, you'd know that I wouldn't be popping anything on the surface, even if I wanted to.(No offense intended) I used a varaition of a Clouser that I tie with an olive rabit-strip on the top instead of bucktail or synthetic, I wrap the body with gold sparkle chenille, and put white bucktail on bottom. I used heavier dumbell eyes to help it get down and stay down. I had to essentially figure out a way to mimic a wounded fish without just "dragging" it along while we trolled, which meant I had to do a crap load of exagerated strips (15 feet of line at a time) and let it sink back down. Finally got a good hard strike on one of the big looping falls, and he hit it hard too. Fun little fight on a 10 wt. (Didn't want to go that big, but what if I'd happened to nail one of the 20"+ guys?)

Maybe one of these days I'll be able to get out and do it The Right Way, but until then, I'll still be proud of this one.
[signature]
I always wondered, if you are in a boat and the wind is blowing enough that you are drifting at a good speed. You cast out and drift is that trolling?
Man I would be bummed if I had an $80.00 line caught in a prop. It happened to me last year on my Type II. It pealed a layer of PVC off the line but I still use it. That bummed me out.
[signature]
Yan it was kinda Sad... But I didn't pay 80 bucks, so I don't feel nearly as bad as I could have. I had the entire line out as well, and it cut off with about three feet until the backing. Again, I really didn't like that darn line - it was almost too heavy for just about every situation, so I didn't use it much anyhow.
[signature]
I use mine all the time, but mine is on a 6 wt. Maybe Depth Charge line? It is grain weight in the first 30' then intermediate in the last 70' . I have 300 grain in that. Not as fast as the Deep Seven, but works pretty good and I can use it on my 6 or 8 wt.

We need to get some flies wet, bud.
[signature]
TBDave, you may not have paid $80 for that line, but you sure as the dickens will pay that for its replacement!

How did you manage that with the nonstop verbal accompaniment from Curt? LOL! I enjoyed my trip with him immensely, but the man can sure talk. I thought I could be verbose but I couldn't get an edge in wordwise.
[signature]
Haha, Curt is my kind of guy. Stories upon stories, all of them interesting. You can tell he really has enjoyed life. I could listen to him talk for days.

I've been fishing/stuck on flights/in a car with people who won't stop talking, but as long as they aren't dull as sin, I usually don't mind. Sure beats awkward silence.
[signature]
The boat is required to be in neutral to be considered "fly fishing" according to the IFGA. If you give a [url "mailtoConfused#@$"]s#@$[/url] about these things.
[signature]
Well, I guess that settles it. Haha.
[signature]