Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going solo on Yuba
Arrived at Yuba at the crack of dawn as planned. Last time I went I hit Oasis and figured I would give Painted Rocks a try. The plan worked out great until I got there and found the wind a little stronger than forecasted. Blowing out of the S-SW I figured it might be a slow day. Figured right. Launched my toon and pulled out two fly rods that I planned on using and strarted dragging flies behind me. Lots of carp jumping around and showing up on the fishfinder but nada on anything else. Started to throw spoons, cranks and a rather large spinnerbait that I had in my box to use on Tiger Muskie and still no takers. Looked to the sky and saw it wanting to rain but alas it went around to the south making it a nice day afterall on the water. Worked my way around the bay, another boat in the area hooked up on what looked to be a nice northern but lost it at the boat. I finally made it around to the side with the campground and put away all rods except my 8 wt fly rod. I have it rigged with floating line, 0X tippet (15 lb leader), steel leader, and an olive clouser. I found myself in about two feet of water when BANG! fish on and after a coupple of head shakes it took off with my fly, steel leader and I found the 0X tippet (15 lb leader) had snapped. I rerigged with the same setup but changed the leader to 12 lb flourocarbon. Good move on my part. Went back to the same place and tried again, wham! This time I pulled in a 16 incher. Figured I would try the same spot again and nada, I guess I cleaned out the hole. I continued on down the shore line and no more takers for the rest of the day. Circled the island and headed into shore. I had exhausted my battery and I noticed there were a couple of the power sqadron on the lake. Met a local from Levan there and he stated they hooked into a couple is all as well. Next time I take the big boat and cover a little more water. Date of the next Yuba adventure? Labor Day!!!!!!

Here are a few pics, enjoy![cool]
[signature]
A Pike is a Pike at any size, at least you can wipe that off your bucket list. Right On!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]A Pike is a Pike at any size, at least you can wipe that off your bucket list. Right On![/quote]

Now to go catch the elusive tiger Muskie.
[signature]