Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reel trouble
I just bought a new reel and went fishing today for the first time. I have never had any real instruction on using it, so I'm having to learn as I go. I noticed a knob on the back of the reel. When I turn it one way, I can reel backwards or forwards. When I turn it the other way, I can only reel in. So I turned it that way. Later, when I caught a sunny and tried to reel it in, the reel started sputtering. It made a tic-tic-tic-tic sound and the line wasn't coming in. I finally had to grab the line and pull the fish in myself. Anybody know what this is about? Thanks for any help.
[signature]
What type of reel are we talking about? A picture of your reel or a link would help get you the most accurate answer.
[signature]
Welcome to the site gfswolf, on your other post on your state board, you said the reel was a bait caster, attached are a couple of different styles in the pics below. Does your reel look like one of them?
WH2
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! From the description of the knob you were talking about it almost sounds like a spinning reel. On the front of this reel is a knob as well this is your drag. It may need a little tightening so that you can reel in the fish. If you tighten it too much the line will break. But again as suggested a pic will help us out on deciphering what reel you do have.
[signature]
I have tried to upload a picture. I hope it works.
[signature]
Shakespeare Contender Spinning Reels are swift, smooth and silent. Quality made, with your choice of lots of capacities. Since 1897, Shakespeare continues to create topnotch fishing gear. Here's a fine Reel selection you'll love! 3 ball bearings plus a one-way clutch, instant anti-reverse bearing; Cold Forged Aluminum spool for added strength; Ported spool for lightweight feel; Magna bail wire is oversized for increased durability; Left / right convertible fold-down handle; On / off anti-reverse. Model No.: CONT30, Capacity: 140 yds./6 lb., Ratio: 5.2:1, Weight: 8.2 oz., Bearings: 4.
[signature]
This one is easy. Knob on the top is your drag setting. Usually clockwise to tighten the drag and counter-clockwise to loosen. The knob on the side of the reel is to allow you to switch the handle to either side so you can use the reel as either a right hand or left hand retrieve.
[signature]
Thanks, that is a spinning reel. Tighten the drag down by turning the knob on the front of the spool clockwise. That should help.
[signature]
[quote gfswolf]I have tried to upload a picture. I hope it works.[/quote]

Just like previously mentioned, you need to tighten your drag. The lever you switched up that allowed the reel to turn the handle freely either direction is called an "anti'reverse." Many reels now don't even come with them, as in most instances they are a useless feature. You want the anti reverse to always be engaged, in other words, you only want to reel to actually "reel" forward, wrapping the line on the reel, not off it.

Spinning reels take a bit of practice, but once you learn to use it, you'll love it.
[signature]
Thanks guys, that's very helpful!
[signature]