Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Stream Report
Ran a guided trip with a brand new fly angler to the mogollon rim creeks around the payson area.
First time experiencing a small and very technical stream and at first my client was having a hard time believing there really was fish, but he kept on trying. After about an hour of getting settled into a rhythm he got his first hit, a small rainbow trout! then a few casts later in the same run a bigger one hit and now he felt what a respectable size small stream trout is like on an Orvis Superfine 4 wt, after this he was hooked!!

[Image: manny2_zps8142a6d8.jpeg]

we ended up landing great size small stream fish and really learned some basics of stealth, line management, tight quarters casting and natural drifts, along with proper fish handling.

After the tight areas we drove over to some more public pull out areas and proceeded to hook into 7-10 wild brown trout. They all experienced long distance releases as my angler was getting tired and reaction times were slowing. The water on the lower sections was low and off colored which led to us being able to get a little closer to the fish without spooking and also any deeper run that we found was holding fish! A fun time was had and a great person was added to our line up of technical small stream enthusiasts!

Fish were falling for beadhead nymphs tied on hopper dropper setups, the hopper was really just used as a strike indicator with a hook in case a fish was active enough to hit that. No eats came from the dry and all were on the bottom flies.

-Manny Chee
[signature]
Thanks for the report Manny! Makes me yearn for high altitudes and cooler temps.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a damn good time. I hope to be getting up to the white mountains for some stream fishing as soon as the flows slow down from the monsoon.
[signature]