Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone -Lamar River Valley
My wife and I spent most all of last week camped at Buttermilk in Island Park. It's kinda our base camp for day trips into YNP. Last Friday (August 9th) we headed back into YNP, our destination was the Lamar Valley and Slough Creek. We took the turn at Norris and drove across to Canyon Village then North on the road to Tower Falls. Their was a little bit of road construction at Tower Falls, but what a great drive some fabulous country. From just past Tower we took the road towards the NE entrance and Cooke City, Montana., only about 10 miles down the road you reach the Lamar River and Slough Creek dumps in about a mile east. We drove into the main campground, what a beautiful place! I fished the wooded area between the first and second meadows, had a great time catching little Cutts between 10 - 14" on small drys. That evening I fished the open stretch of the first meadow, fishing Hoopers and Beatle patterns. Had some success, but there wasn't a great did of live hoppers in the area. All in all was a great day fishing YNP. We took the road back through Mammoth Hot Springs, and by passed all the road construction.[Smile! P.S. I fished Henry' s Lake the next day(Sat.Aug. 10th) and hooked up with a 26" 11lb Hybred. He was a quite the battle in my tube. I don't usually take fish home, but in this case he made some great camp cooked fish tacos!
[signature]
Beautiful trip! That hybrid is a monster of a fish. Congrates on a vacation to remember.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pictures . I don't think that fish weighed 11 pounds .This fish was 8 pounds 26 inches .
[signature]
Weight was unofficial of course, it was a hog belly!
[signature]
[quote EddieFish]My wife and I spent most all of last week camped at Buttermilk in Island Park. It's kinda our base camp for day trips into YNP. Last Friday (August 9th) we headed back into YNP, our destination was the Lamar Valley and Slough Creek. We took the turn at Norris and drove across to Canyon Village then North on the road to Tower Falls. Their was a little bit of road construction at Tower Falls, but what a great drive some fabulous country. From just past Tower we took the road towards the NE entrance and Cooke City, Montana., only about 10 miles down the road you reach the Lamar River and Slough Creek dumps in about a mile east. We drove into the main campground, what a beautiful place! I fished the wooded area between the first and second meadows, had a great time catching little Cutts between 10 - 14" on small drys. That evening I fished the open stretch of the first meadow, fishing Hoopers and Beatle patterns. Had some success, but there wasn't a great did of live hoppers in the area. All in all was a great day fishing YNP. We took the road back through Mammoth Hot Springs, and by passed all the road construction.[Smile! P.S. I fished Henry' s Lake the next day(Sat.Aug. 10th) and hooked up with a 26" 11lb Hybred. He was a quite the battle in my tube. I don't usually take fish home, but in this case he made some great camp cooked fish tacos![/quote]

Got to ask, was it George, John, Paul or Ringo pattern.....or maybe a beetle[Wink]
I think weight more around 7 or 8 lb it is 26". But nice catch at any weight.
[signature]
Pete Best - Orange n Red Jig Streamer!
[signature]
LOL Very nice! I love that fly[Wink] Totally jealous of your trip. Thanks for posting it. That river is awesome!
[signature]
This fish was 26 inches 6 pounds it is the biggest fish I have ever caught through the ice .
[signature]
Why does the weight of this guys fish really matter? Is it that important for you folks to jump in and dispute the weight? And then dig up photos to prove him wrong. Really why in the he... does it really matter?
[signature]
I could care less! It was just a guess, I did measure the length 26", estimated the girth at about 17.5. (G x G x L / 800) put it somewhere between 9 to 10.5 lbs. I guess I'm a round it up type of guy, what fisherman isn't. All I know is he was much bigger than a 7 - 8 lb fish I caught lots of years ago. All I can say it was a big fish that came out of the water about four times, took me out to my backing twice, dragged me around on my tube and gave me the time of my life on fly rod! Heck, if it would of broke me off or if I didn't get a picture I would of swore it was 15lbs![Wink]
[signature]
I am sorry if I offended anyone . I was just trying to show some fish of different lengths and weights. ? I agree that your fish is great and catching it on a flyrod and in a toon awesome .
[signature]
[quote curt69]I am sorry if I offended anyone . I was just trying to show some fish of different lengths and weights. ? I agree that your fish is great and catching it on a flyrod and in a toon awesome .[/quote]

I don't believe you offended anyone, but you did try to disprove this gentlemen's estimate of the weight of his fish, which serves no purpose. I am no expert on estimating the weight of fish ,but IMO you were comparing fish that were a lot more slender then what the OP's fish appeared to be. In any event it was nice fish, and the guy was gracious enough to share it with us. Thanks to the OP
[signature]
[quote EddieFish]Weight was unofficial of course, it was a hog belly![/quote]

Good enough for me ,nice fish . It was a hog belly. I have caught some nice fish out of Henry's they are awesome.
[signature]
I wasn't offended by anything said by Curt or anyone else! It was my bad to post length or weight estimates anyway. Should of just let the pictures show a big fish.
[signature]
Sweet trip and great looking fish! Glad you got out!
[signature]
Great trip! Thanks for sharing. I love fishing up in the Lamar Valley! We made it up there three times this summer, and I still haven't gotten my fill. Questions about Slough Creek for you: when you say you fished the first meadow section with hoppers and beetles, is that the section right off the gravel road or is that the first meadow you come to after hiking in one mile? By the backcountry ranger station? I get all those meadows Confused? The reason I ask is because I have never fished the section that run next to the gravel road that you drive in on heading to the campground, and I was curious if you fished that section.

Again, thanks for sharing your trip
[signature]
I fished the first open area off the paved road. It's along the gravel road before you come to the main campground. The last section before it drops off into the Lamar River seemed to be the best. I know there are several meadow areas upstream of the campground as well. Didn't have time or bear spray to walk to far into the bush!
[signature]