Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skull Cleaning
If any of you guys do your own european mounts, I have a dermestid beetle colony and will clean your skulls for you. Beetles are the way to go, way easier than boiling and you don't have the tooth cracking to worry about, or steaming the color off the bases of your antlers.

Right now a deer skull that is skinned is taking under 24 hours to be completely flesh-free. The process to make sure the beetles have completely vacated the skull takes longer than cleaning it, my bugs are fast! I can also degrease and whiten the skull for you but that will take usually 1-2 months depending on the species. Let me know if I can help you out. Oh, i'm located in Cache Valley.
[signature]
What about a buck or bull that's in the velvet? Will these beetles eat that too or do the leave it alone?
[signature]
They will eat it. They eat everything right down to bone, even cartilage, hooves, horns on sheep/goats/antelope. I've been figuring out a method to prevent it from happening, the velvet has to be treated first with formaldehyde, which should be done the day you kill anyway if it's not put into a freezer. I wouldn't trust my method just yet with a trophy, i've tried on a couple spikes and have it just about figured out...
[signature]
I'm hoping to get an animal or two for you this year. I have always done my own mounts and I am sick of the boiling process. I can't wait to try the beetles!
[signature]
Ok, got one for you. well, my son got one for you.

I sent you a PM, talk to you later.
[signature]
What do you charge for a partial deer skull ?
[signature]
Lonnie, PM Sent.
[signature]
Holy bucks! My walk in freezer is filling up fast! My turnaround time is slowing down, Looking at 2-3 months right now. I've had a lot of PMs from BFTers and am giving out some pretty good deals. Thanks guys!
[signature]