Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013/2014 Inaugural Idaho Ice Fishing League
Good morning guys. I hope everybody's summer has been good. Hunting is just around the corner...

I know it's extremely early to start thinking about hitting the hard deck, but I've been finding myself thinking about it quite a bit lately. As you know, I'm a South Dakota transplant in Boise. Last year was my first winter on the ice in this state and I thought it was great. My only complaint would be the general lack of different opportunities (warm water species), but I knew that when moving here.

One thing I miss about home is the option to ice fish semi competitively on a more frequent basis. I'm proposing an affordable way to change that. It will consist of 4 events this coming winter. Each event will have a low entry cost with 100% cash payout with a nice Team/Angler of the year cash award at the conclusion of the 4th and final event.

Introducing the Idaho Ice fishing League. [Smile]
[signature]
I've contacted the Idaho F&G about this. I've got the OK as long as we don't exceed a couple of parameters. I've worked the rules to stay within the confines of their regulations. I'll post the whole story here once I get done figuring everything.

Andy
[signature]
2013/2014 Inaugural Idaho Ice Fishing League

-The league will consist of 4 total events this winter. The dates and locations are yet to be determined.

-There will be a mandatory limit of 20 total participants. (Per IFAG) If we get good interest we will revisit this for future events. More than 20 requires an application/permit from the state.

-Of the 20 total anglers, there is the option to fish as a two-man team, or as an individual angler.

-Each angler/team will weigh their best 6 perch, per event.

-Each event will have a $20 per person entry fee. ($40 total for a two angler team) Payout schedule will be posted below. 100% of the entry fees taken in will be paid back.

Total Purse per event: (Based on a full 20 angler field) $400. The league will pay out places 1-5.
1st: $100
2nd: $80
3rd: $60
4th: $40
5th: $20

Total: $300

The remaining $100 will be held for a Angler/Team of the year award given to the overall point winner of all 4 events. To be eligible for angler/team of the year, each angler must commit $5 at the conclusion of the first event. Any angler that does not contribute the $5 may fish each event but would not be eligible to collect the award at the end of the season. This is a one time payment ($100 total) After 4 events, the fund will be $500 strong. That should be more than enough motivation to fish all 4 events. Clear as mud? [Wink]
[signature]
Wow if I lived on that side of the state I would be in . Sounds like a lot of fun .
[signature]
Are the fish going to be killed? Tournament permits for bass fishing are for "transporting" live fish ie: live weigh in and return to body of water where caught. Where you gonna do this? I got a stiffy! I been praying for snow since last April.
[signature]
[quote sdhuntandfish]

I'll post the whole story here once I get done figuring everything.

Andy

[/quote]

I'm impressed. It took you two minutes to figure everything out and type and post the rules.[Smile]
[signature]
As far as the fish being killed, I guess thats my assumption. Seems that most guys like to keep a meal of perch, especially during ice season. The 6 fish you would bring to weigh in isn't likely to have a huge impact on the fishery.
[signature]
I basically had it already typed out. It was a copy and paste deal.

As far as locations go, I'd like to assume at least 2 and if not 3 events will be at cascade. The fish are incredible, there are places to stay and eat, and its not a bad drive. We would have to make sure the events will be held on different weekends than the other Derbies that happen annually.

I would like to have a get together in the next month or so that could be treated like an open forum for the participants to voice their ideas and opinions. I.E. dates, lakes, format, etc.
[signature]
It would be almost impossible to keep fish alive, but weighing dead fish peeps will cheat. Tourney permits are fairy inexpensive and simple to get. Funny what a dude will do for a couple bucks. I'm interested on Saturdays. Really hope CJ freezes again. What's next? Maybe sturgeon thru the ice. Smile
[signature]
If you are worried adout that go by leanth .
[signature]
Until we get more than 20 folks interested, I'm not going to mess with a permit. The state ok'd it. Next year if we see the interest expand above 20, we can revisit a permit. This is strictly to have fun and put a little extra money in an anglers pocket.
[signature]
[quote dtayboyz]It would be almost impossible to keep fish alive, but weighing dead fish peeps will cheat. Tourney permits are fairy inexpensive and simple to get. Funny what a dude will do for a couple bucks. I'm interested on Saturdays. Really hope CJ freezes again. What's next? Maybe sturgeon thru the ice. Smile[/quote]

Back home, most ice tournaments make you bring your fish in to weigh alive. This involves keeping them in water in some kind of bucket. It's more difficult than a livewell obviously, but can be done. Starting out, the league would be self-policing. If there is any doubt at a weigh in, it would be up to the group as a whole to decide.
[signature]
Some other ideas that I'm throwing around...

-I have some connections with some ice gear manufacturers. I might be able to get them to donate some gear for each individual event as well as for the championship.

-On that same thought, I'll be working to find some sponsors that could also possible donate some gear to give away.

-Having a get together in the near future to discuss lake options, rules, days, etc. As of now, I'm thinking Saturdays would be the day of choice. Many people attend church on Sundays so it might be tough to get good participation on a Sunday. We could meet up at a sports bar/restraint, etc.

Keep the thoughts coming! The more input the better.
[signature]
Maybe a roving weigh master (or a couple) everyone has a cell phone nowadays. I like the best six weight idea the best and a big fish and maybe a small fish or maybe another species pot. With best six you can drop the dinks back in the hole. Ya gotta spread the money around or folks get bored and don't show up. If they think the game is rigged for one or two guys, participation leaves quick. Happens at bass tournaments a lot. Us Idaho rednecks are a funny bunch. Maybe talk to the guys at magic res about they're yearly derby, it is usually well attended. I usually fish every Saturday SOMEWHERE.
[signature]
Maybe a roving weigh master (or a couple) everyone has a cell phone nowadays. I like the best six weight idea the best and a big fish and maybe a small fish or maybe another species pot. With best six you can drop the dinks back in the hole. Ya gotta spread the money around or folks get bored and don't show up. If they think the game is rigged for one or two guys, participation leaves quick. Happens at bass tournaments a lot. Us Idaho rednecks are a funny bunch. Maybe talk to the guys at magic res about they're yearly derby, it is usually well attended. I usually fish every Saturday SOMEWHERE.
[signature]
I would definitely be interested in something like this. Send me a pm when you looking to do a meeting. I haven't done any good ice fishing since I left Michigan.

Jeremy
[signature]
if you do 2 or 3 events at cascade and made a rainbow pot i would be in not much of a perch guy
[signature]
Thanks to all that replied and showed interest. I'm currently in the process of getting a Facebook page set up that will be the backbone for information regarding the league.

As far as species, this too can be tweaked. There could be a separate prize for the top 2 or 3 trout. We would just need to revisit the purse structure. This is where having a preseason meeting would be good, to set rules and a plan the the majority can agree on.

Once I get the site up and going, I'll be printing out flyers to hang in all area sporting goods stores. I'll also meet with a graphic designer to come up with a logo which can be used to print hoodies, hats, tshirts, ect.

I'm thinking the winner of each event will get a nice wood plaque and the season champion would get a nice trophy. I'm funding this out of my own pocket starting out because it is something I am passionate about. I'm certain there are AT LEAST 20 others that feel the same.

Thanks again,
Andy
[signature]
Count me in for this! Sounds fun.
[signature]
Sounds interesting. I'll give it some thought. In the past I haven't really enjoyed the "tournament" style contests I've been in. Mostly due to large numbers of people, crowds, and the noise (augers, snowmobiles, and atv's everywhere, peoples dogs, etc, etc, etc). Those aren't why I ice fish. This seems small enough that I might get involved. I'll have to think about it.
[signature]