Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filling the freezer 8/24
After some miserable days weather wise, it was nice to have... another very wet day. I have been rained and/or hailed on every day I have hunted this season, and one point in the day or all day. I have spent countless hours in my tree stand with very little activity due to the weather. I would sit morning and evening, and do a little walk to spot and stalk during the day. I have passed on many small bucks (spikes and two points) and not seen any elk except 4 opening morning. Well, Saturday it was raining again and I decided I was not going to sit in the tree and get poured on with nothing to show for it again. So, I hiked into an area I have hunted in the past, but not this year. Put in about 2 miles, and was just getting pelted with hail and rain. Visibility was maybe 30-40 yards it was coming down so hard. Being as how I still had to walk back down one side of this mountain, across a creek, and up to the road to get back to my truck I started slowly heading the direction to the road.
Then, the weather I had been so frustrated with all season so far paid off. I came into a herd of elk laying just outside a meadow. All looking the other way out into the meadow. Couldn't get the shot angle I wanted, so I moved in a little closer. I debated whether to even shoot being as how the blood trail would almost instantly vanish in this downpour. Figured I better just make a good shot. Shot this cow at 7 yards laying down, spot and stalk. She went maybe 50 yards before expiring. Definitely a fun hunt, and a rush to get that close on the ground. Been cutting up meat each evening since.
[signature]
I'm glad all of your efforts finally paid off. Congrats on a nice big cow!
[signature]
Yee haw! 7 yards is pretty close to get to a herd of elk!

Enjoy those tender loins, good eatin!
[signature]
well done!!!!
[signature]
Good Job on the stock! I to have filled my tag this year and was almost three miles in when I shot my elk thank goodness for horses or it would have been packed out on my back. Nice job and way to go on the full freezer.
[signature]
Congrats on a nice elk. So far our luck has been terrible on the few water holes in the area, the elk have gone nocturnal and are not visiting the water holes until dark. I have bumped several small bunches on my way out at dark. The wife missed a nice 4X3 buck last Weds. morning at 40 yards and that has been the only action so far. We will head back down this Thurs. afternoon for our last trip looks like more rain on the way, just hope we can get our trailer out.
[signature]
Congrats! Looks like a nice big cow.
[signature]
Finally finished processing meat. Man, that makes for a long week with work and then this afterwards. But it makes it worth it throughout the year. Steaks, roasts, burger, and sausage. Just have to dehydrate my jerky, but that will be getting done after the season ends.
Deer, here I come (headed back out tomorrow). I'm a bit more selective with deer after an elk is in the freezer, especially when I just finished the first animal the day before.

Also, I have got a bit of crap from some friends about my camo only from the waste up in the picture. Just an FYI, that was not what I was hunting in. I returned the next morning with help to get it out. Hell, that's not even my bow. I was not about to pack my bow in and back out with a pack full of meat when I knew she was done. Just to clarify[Wink].
[signature]
Wow good job man! It's got to be nice having a freezer full of elk meat!
Good luck on getting your buck hope you get a monster!
[signature]
Takes a lot to harass a guy who successfully harvested an elk with the bow. Who cares what kind of camo you are or are not wearing.
[signature]
Just returned from our bow hunt. We took off work a couple hrs early and this past Thurs. and beat feet down to our hunting camp. When we got there our son and the wife unloaded our ATV's and they made the 8 mile run to one of our ground blinds near a spring while I stayed in Camp and unloaded our supplies. A good friend of ours and his wife were camped next to us and they also headed up the Mt. for an evening hunt in one of our other ground blinds. When 9:30 P.M. rolled around and no sign of any of the hunters I decided to jump in the truck and head up the Mt. When I could get phone reception I gave the wife a call and left a voice mail telling her I was headed that way. Several minutes later she called back very excited and said she killed a nice cow a few minutes after 8 and they had got together with our friends and were able to get the animal out whole. They loaded the animal on the wife's Kodiak and were headed to camp. The only picture we took was of her with the elk hung up in camp with a cell phone. My friend John and I skinned the elk and let it cool over night. The wife took it to Chucks Meats near Altamont Friday morning to be processed. The cow weighed 275 lbs, with guts, hide, and legs removed. The wife missed a buck later in our hunt but she was a happy hunter any way. Now it's antelope for her and I in WY. then our WY. deer hunt with a Texas whitetail, hog and javelina hunt in Jan. Should be a fun fall.
[signature]
Congrats!
[signature]