Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a difference 2 days make. Willard report 08-30-13
Wiperslayer and I got out on Willard at 7am this morning, water temp was 4 degrees warmer(76*) than it was two days ago and the water was a lot clearer. The catching started off slow but the first fish was a nice 22" eye, then a 22" wiper. Then the wiper catching really took off with another 20 wipers caught before we decided to call it quits. We got a couple of doubles including one where Ira reeled the lure in on the inside rod and left it dragging behind the boat, I got the fish almost in on the outside rod when the rod that was left dragging had a wiper hit it and we ended up getting both fish in. I thought that was so impressive I decided to leave a lure dragging close behind the boat and try for a repeat. Sure enough, not five minutes later, not only did a wiper hit the lure but the fish jumped three times before I could pick up the rod. Even caught another snub nosed wiper. Finally started seeing some good sized schools of shad on the fish finder, so I'm thinking the wiper boils will really turn on soon and you should be able to catch them, if you go out in the evenings. I know a couple of folks have been seeing the boils, so I'd say get out there and lets read some reports[Smile].
WH2
[signature]
Cool some good fall fishing close in. Good job. Looking forward to getting out there.
[signature]
Hey Curt that's great news. Wish I wasn't farming this weekend. Are you fishing very far behind the planners? How deep do you figure? Nice fish guys. Later J
[signature]
We were only 30 ft behind the planner board, so the fish are very shallow, not more than 5 ft deep.
[signature]
Anymore reports like this one, I think I'll change my mind and find a way to get up there for a day out on the pond with you. If it's still good toward the end of September, count on me. Maybe some topwater action?
Found out today that my new Merc 150 should be here by about September 11!!

Mike
[signature]
Thanks Curt sure sounds like fun. Later J
[signature]
Curt, those pics of the marina look pretty touch-n-go. Did you ever have any problems with the water being too shallow?

Thanks much guys for the report.
[signature]
Launching is no problem, it is plenty deep as long as you don't try and go toward the East side of the marina, anything to the East of the ramp is very shallow. The center of the ramp was installed many years ago before they filled the lake so there is no problem with it dropping off like it does in the pics on either side of the center ramp. When you are backing down the ramp the water quickly goes to 4 ft and then 6 as you are going
out of the channel. The only big issue is that you need to go straight out the channel into the bay 100 yds or more before you turn to the left or right. Other than that it is really no problem. Once your in the Bay just stay away from the Island,the South and the East shore line.
[signature]
Just keep an eye out for reports, if the boils start up full force, there will be lots of top water action. Sure hope you will get that new motor soon.
[signature]
Mike, if you got the 150 four stroke you are gonna love it. I got mine a month ago with the Smartcraft gauges. Awesome!
It will be very interesting to see if the longevity will hold up against the F 150.
[signature]
My new motor is a 2014 Merc Optimax Pro XS direct injection 2 stroke. I decided the weight and performance have a good advantage over the 4 stroke. My experience with some 4 strokes has been less than perfect although I believe the newer ones from all makers are good choices.

Mike
[signature]
I went out today 8-31. Started out about 7 in the morning. We just trolled little silver crank baits and ended up with a handful of wipers, walleye and one catfish. Overall, it was a real good time. And found this in the belly of the walleye, wasn't sure what I should do with it?
[signature]
Sounds like a very productive trip. A few quick questions. Is the fish cleaning station open and is there a dock still in the water?
[signature]
[#000000]Sounds like a good day on the Bay, I'm glad to hear others are finding some willing fish. If you were home when you found that baby shad, just throw it away. How long was it?[/#000000]
[signature]
The cleaning station is not covered but I can't say if it is working or not. There is a dock in the water.
[signature]
[#000000]"If you were home when you found that baby shad, just throw it away. How long was it?"

[#0000FF]Looks more like a small carp to me.

In years past the wipers and walleyes have been feeding on baby carp before the shad get big enough to eat. I got into a big boil right off the launch ramp of the north marina one year at daybreak...just as I was getting ready to launch my tube. The wipers were chasing the baby carp right up onto the ramp. I brought my cast net down the next morning to harvest a few but they were gone.
[/#0000FF]
[/#000000]
[signature]
I agree with TD it looks a lot like the carp minnows I've been using. Wish I could find some more. My fathead supply has moved on as well and I'll soon have my frozen supply exhausted. Hope they start schooling early this year. Later J
[signature]
Yes, and what a difference just 1 day can make. Was on WB about 7 AM Saturday 31st Aug. Trolled a zig-zag down the West wall from directly across from the Marina, running at 2.8 to 3.1 mph (GPS) Just made a left hand turn at about the light pole, ran maybe 100 yard, got a very nice walleye. Another in same direction of travel about 30 min. later. Then everything stopped for about and hour. Had turned around, heading west just north of the island, bumped up speed a bit and got 2 fast back to back Wiper hits, got one in the boat and released, the other pulled off right at the boat . Both small, but full of fight.

Pulled in the lines, did a speed run ( a whopping 13 MPH) to the north area above the marina, anchored out and dropped a couple bottom rigged night crawlers. Got a couple tug-tugs, then a nice Yellow Perch. Actually largest Perch I've caught at WB.

Not a bad day Saturday, power boats were not too bad on the water, but the line was long getting out. Fortunately everyone there at that time knew what they were doing, and the in and out moved pretty good.

Would have gone back this morning, but had to wait for the Vet to come put my old lady Golden Retriever to sleep. She once was one of my best fishin buddies.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
It was probably 3"
[signature]
When I went to use the cleaning station yesterday, it was broken and had a pile of fish on it. I did stop at the gate and let them know that it was not working, they said they had no idea.
[signature]