Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass on the fly
After 20 years of trout fishing i want to expand my horizons and learn to fly fish for bass. I am thinking of heading up to Jordanelle or Deer creek. Which lake would be a better place to go? What kind of structure do i look gor? Can i get into them from shore or should I bring the pontoon? What time of day is best and what are some flies and tatics?

Thanks for any help!

Mark
[signature]
I'm been catching tons of smallies with crawdads or #12 woolly buggers. They aren't big but still tons of fun on a 6wt rod. Just fish around really steep banks. If you find big boulder rocks they are love hiding in there. I don't see any vegetation this year what so ever for how low it is but lets hope for a huge snow season so all the vegetation growing from this and last will be covered for a great season next year.
[signature]
Just my experience, but I catch more bass at Deer Creek than at Jordanelle. I fish the rocky shores from a pontoon. Jordanelle I look for trees or rocky shores.
Buggers always work, but mohair leeches too.
Sinking fly line. Type II or IV
[signature]
I used to fly fish Deer Creek all the time back in the day. Buggers and mohair leeches were my go to, but Clouser Minnows and Bunny Leeches worked well too. You also have the chance of catching the other species that live there. I've caught smallies, largemouth, green sunfish, carp, rainbows and even a 27" walleye using these flies there. As was mentioned, deep, rocky areas work best typically. You also can have some fun throwing poppers and other topwater flies during low light conditions.

If the fish aren't too deep, I would use a floating line with a beadhead fly. Let the fly sink down so it's a foot or two above the rocks. Watch your line tip, because a lot of the fish will take it while it's sinking. Once you reach the proper depth, bring it in with short strips. If the fish are a little deeper, I would go with a type II sinking line.
[signature]
http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com Great resource for bass, bluegill, and even catfish and crappie. I love the hairymara slider and flashabou streamer.
[signature]
I fish both Jordanelle and DC. I think numbers-wise, DC wins hands down, but I think you'll find bigger smallies at Jordanelle. Of course, don't limit yourself to smallies. Also don't limit yourself to the normal leeches and buggers that all the trout guys throw. Boring! Bass have big mouths and big appetites, plus they hit topwater with demon attacks.

Anyway, see for yourself, here are a few articles we have on bass on the website:

http://www.flyfishfood.com/search/label/Bass

Here's a Jordanelle smallie...

[Image: 9585158209_135bd246c5_z.jpg]

Enjoy!
[signature]
We kicked bum at Jordanelle on Purple Showgirl and Kelly Galloup's Egg Sucking Sculpin in brown.
[signature]