Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird Dog Training
Well,

I just purchased my first ever bird dog, Savannah. She is about 13 weeks old and is a cross between a GSP and GWP but looks just like a GSP. She is full of energy and is showing good signs of companionship and trainability.

The reason for posting this is my deep concern for something that happened today. I took her to Millcreek Canyon for a little hike and on the way out it started pouring. It began thundering and she acted as if she didnt mind. Then, it began to ROCK. By the time I reached the car I was completely soaked, and she was crouching scared and trembled for almost an hour after. This tears me up because one of my last pooches, a beagle, was a great hunter but I made the mistake on improperly introducing the gun to her. I DONT want to make this mistake again.

I am debating on putting her into an "academy". There are several out there in Utah at varying prices. Has anyone had any experience with these? Is this even something I should worry about and just continue to try and train her on my own? Does anyone here have puppies or want to team up training?

As I said this is my first go around with a pointer and I want to do it RIGHT the first time.
[signature]
I understand your fear, but it may be unwarranted......why? I'm a yellow lab owner. Both of my labs have been frightened to death by thunder and fireworks. They both know the difference between those two loud sounds and gun fire. I can take them out to a skeet range and there is no issue. Same with hunting. I can shoot right over her head and there isn't as much as flinch. Dogs are cool critters. Just because your dog is shy of thunder, I would bet it doesn't mind guns.
[signature]
Agree.

I've found that most dogs are intelligent enough to understand the difference of the sound between a boom stick and unknown thunder gods. My Lab hears loud thunder and it makes him uneasy. He hears a gunshot and he knows it's show time and gets super excited.

Make shooting an enjoyable experience for the dog and things work out. Also helps if the dog is toy/retrieve motivated.
[signature]
Beagles, Collies and Shepherds tend to have the biggest problem with loud sounds. I have a border collie and all loud sounds terrify her. My lab bull terrier mix only response is she'll growl if the ground shakes after lightening. I tell people she knows it scares the other dog so she trying to scare the storm off. Until you can get her in training make sure you don't act frightened or excessively reassure her if she reacts to loud sounds. Try to do things that make her focus on something else like retrieving or giving commands for her to do. Next pup besides checking out it's innate retrieving ability, dominance and temperament be sure to check out it's fearfulness with loud sounds. Hopefully the pup will turn out fine but you can increase the odds by testing the pups for various traits that you desire in a dog. My mix was fearless and a great swimmer at 8 weeks - just want I was looking for.
[signature]
there is def. some good advice here. I think I am going to get a cap gun (rifle model) and start working her on it. Maybe have my GF play fetch with her then I will walk around the house and shoot it once.. and so forth.

She is just a skittish dog I believe. She is afraid of the blender, balls, cow ears, everything! But, once introduced well she comes around. Hopefully everything will work out.

I am going to work on getting some pigeons next week.
[signature]
you are right to be concerned. One thing i would warn against is this. If your dog displays signs of gun shyness... Do not be the caring parent. Do not try to comfort or praise the dog because you feel bad.... Although this may be the appropriate action with a human child. Dogs are different doing this will only make things worse... do not acknowledge this behavior ignore it and try move on immediately. And be sure and only use the cap gun during retrieving. You want it to be associated with fun/hunting... make sure your dog is distracted by the fun of retrieving.... and try and introduce the "bang" at a distance and slowly moving closer. Always keeping the the dogs focus on retrieving/hunting. Messing this up can result in a life long battle of fear... You want to get to the point where the tail wags when you pull out the shotgun!

best of luck
[signature]
I agree, some very good advice has already been posted. My last GSP was a great gun dog, loved the shotgun coming out of the safe, retrieved on land and in water. But, had to tranquilize her during fireworks season. Something about the bright flash and boom at night i guess. Not as bad with thunder and lightening but still didn't like it. I agree the worse thing to do is cuddle when they are anxious, this only instills the behavior. Instead go about business as usual and hopefully the behavior changes. Dogs can sense if you're uneasy also.
[signature]
I would get playing with the dog, doing something she loves, retrieving or whatever. Have someone far away fire cap gun. Keep playing with dog on different days and move a little closer each day with cap gun. Dog should affiliate the fun play time with the noise. If you just fire the cap gun near her your asking for problems IMO.
[signature]