Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 9/7/13
N.E.T.O. and I fished Strawberry yesterday. There was a slight breeze for the first hour or so, then it died down and it was dead calm until about 2:30 PM, when the storms started blowing through.

First stop we each had one hit and that was it. Moved to where Randy had found them a couple weeks earlier. Catching was steady but not super fast for the next couple hours. Moved about 300 feet and the catching picked up. Left the water around 5:30 PM with Randy having landed 51 cutts and 1 rainbow. I landed around 40 cutts. All cutts were within the slot. I missed far too many bites and started hooking more fish when I switched to smaller hooks.

Most fish were caught vertically jigging and the rest were caught casting and bouncing back to the boat.

After running out of cut-bait I tried some Berkley night crawlers that I had been carrying about for a few years. I put on half of a make-believe crawler on my jig and made a cast. Bounced it off of the bottom a couple times and got aggressive strikes. On the next three casts I also got aggressive hits. I must have made a dozen or more casts after that without a single hit.
[signature]
Seemes like a good session on the berry. Nice work on the cutts, maybe next time you will get the slot buster that I am sure you were after this time around.

No pics?

Did NETO out fish you again?[:p]
[signature]
Nice report Kent, sounds like the good catching has finally returned. From most of the reports I've read this year, jiggers have not done as well as in the past. Did you notice what the water temp was?
[signature]
I thought you had the franchise on picture taking for BFT. You do such a good job with your pictures.

I let Randy out catch me every once in awhile so that he doesn't get too discouraged and quit fishing with me.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]

Did you notice what the water temp was?

[/quote]

Yes I did, it was warm to the touch. Replaced my transducer this year and unfortunately, I ended up with one that doesn't provide temperature readings, and I didn't drop down the portable one that I purchased from Pat.
[signature]
Been here since Friday. Fishing between lightening storms. Water temperature is low 60s.They planted a lot before Labor day so catching is not a problem, bigger fish however is.
Caught a bunch on flies and that makes me Smile.
Rained most of the day today, but got out for a bit. They went deeper but still caught a ton [Wink]
[signature]
Kent's boat was the perfect craft to have out on Strawberry on Saturday...with his hardtop and windows we were able to stay out and brave the storm and we stayed completely dry and even caught fish during the wind and 3 foot swells. We did have to deploy the anchor however as the ipilot just wouldn't hold us during the high winds. After the storm, it calmed considerably and the fishing was still good.
Kent reported on how many fish we caught, but we both missed a whole lot during the day. I developed a blister on the heel of my hand from setting the hook so much, and the next morning I woke up with a sore wrist!

Reminded me of the gool old days of Strawberry and it was good to get back into the fish again. Only a few of the Cutts we caught approached the 22" mark this time, with none over the slot. And only one Rainbow caught between the two of us. Most fish were healthy however with most in the 19 to 20 inch range.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
May I ask what type of jigs, and if you would like to keep that to yourself, all good. I usually use 3 1/2 inch tube jig, in smoke with blue flecks, dark purple has worked well, and then one year 10 years ago a red and green twister tail worked, not any more.

Nice work, you are pretty good rod.
[signature]
Nice update. Were the fish still at about 30-50 feet when hitting?
[signature]
We fished water from about 29.5 to 31 feet deep and all bites were on the bottom.
[signature]