Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another trip to the Creek
After working 8 days straight, I finally had a day off and could not think of anything better to do than fish. Imagine that. I got up dark and early and headed for Deer Creek. I decided to hit the land mass formerly know as "The Island". I got there about 6:15, still too dark to see my Pop-r, but luckily my ears work pretty well. As I made my way down to the lake you could see storm clouds above revealing themselves in the early morning light. Not too promising. My first cast was a joke. Missed the shore by a couple inches. The second cast landed right where I wanted it. I heard a splash, jerked the rod...and nothing. Missed him. 3rd cast, fish on. I landed this small, large-mouth.

[inline "First One 9-10.jpeg"]

I took a pic and sent him splashing, back into the lake. In the next 15 minutes I missed a couple and caught 4 more, all SMB. All about the same size.
As it started to get a little lighter out, the bites slowed to a halt. It's amazing how fast it can turn off. I kept casting waiting for the rain to start and hoping for another bite, but enjoying not being at work. I didn't see another soul until a boat whizzed out to the Charleston area at about 7 am. A flock of geese flew over, I'm sure they were trying to avoid the storm.

[inline birds.jpeg]

Right when I was about to call it a day, I got one of those bites that you're not expecting and it scares you a little. He fought a little harder than the rest did this morning. With good reason, he was about twice the size of the cookie cutter, bass I've been catching all summer long.

[inline "big un.jpeg"]

Not bad. He sent my favorite Pop-r into forced retirement. He ripped the tail right off.

[inline pop-r.jpeg]

He had a good life. He caught about 150 bass this summer.

So, after the excitement of landing that one, I couldn't stop now. I blew through another 30 minutes tossing a different Pop-r before the rain started to fall. Then instead of going to the car, I tied on my trusty Jakes and tossed that to the interest of no one.

After 20 minutes or so, the rain let up. Since the fishing was over, I decided to go exploring. I headed north, along the shoreline out into the flats toward Charleston. I got about a half mile from the island and noticed what appeared to be an old road or train track that was there before the reservoir was. Not much to it, just a little bit of a hump extending all the way out. There was a little spring bubbling up too that was kind of neat. Here is a pic I took from my google maps.

[inline gps.jpeg]

While it is true that I have fed lots of people with only two fish, the only actual miracle that occurs today is my green lawn in the middle of a desert.

Here is an actual photo.

[inline spring.jpeg]

As you can see, the sun was threatening to burn away the clouds.

All in all it was a fun day fishing. It was a lot slower than most days that I've had up there this year, but like they say, "A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work".
[signature]
That is the old railroad bed that came up out of the canyon before the dam was built. Walking along it I have found old spikes and tie plates. One time I also came across one of the old culverts that was made out of wood. Looked like the perfect place foe a fish to hide in.

If the lake gets a little lower and you go about another quarter to hhalf mile north of the you will find one of the old wood rental boats half burried in the too.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Nice report...Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Nice report. Looks like we went fishing together...on the same lake but in different spots. I was tubing on the south side of the island.

By the way, that flock of big birds that went over was a bunch of sandhill cranes heading south. They went right over me and I got a good look at them...and heard their distinctive calls. I tried to get a pic of them against the sky but it was still pretty dark and it didn't come out very well. But here it is.

[inline "CRANE FLIGHT.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice work, hope the "fish sticks" taste good!
[signature]
Yeah, I've gone through four Pop-R tails this summer.

I fished with one without it and still caught at almost the same rate.

And it looks like your favorite and my favorite are the same one. I haven't noticed a lot of difference switching them around, but the smaller white and silver is my favorite.
[signature]
They can be really rough with those pop-rs. I have an assortment of sizes and colors that I take, but I only had one of those small black and white ones with a pink mouth. I take other people with me frequently and they don't do as well with the other colors/sizes. It's just too bad the Sportsmen's I like doesn't carry that style. I have to wander through a circus to get this particular lure.
[signature]
TDT- Fortunately/unfortunately, depending on who you talk to, all of the fish I caught that day are still swimming. I've been trying to eat all of the salmon I caught in June, before I start keeping more. I did try one of the smallies that I caught a few weeks ago because the lure ripped his gills up. He was tasty. My only issue with eating these guys is all the butter or oil that goes so well with them, but not so well with my waistline. I don't need to be buying bigger waders.
[signature]
I thought you were maybe talking about one of the CREEKS like Millcreek or the Cottonwoods, but Deer Creek ...[crazy]
Those are some great shots and the shot of how bad the "Creek" has receded is kinda Sad. Come on water!
[signature]