Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got an elk with my Muzzleloader
Last week I thought I was done elk hunting for the year. Well I talked my self into a couple more days. I left on Thursday night during another flash flood slash wild fire. I don't understand how a flash flood can hit and a wildfire; break out at the same time. Anyway, I hit my favorite spots and nothing. I don't know if the weather or the fires or the choppers or the moon or what. I was not seeing any elk. Saturday was the last day and I wanted to try one last spot. I get there and head up the hill to the ridge. As I was making my way up the hill I see an animal looking over the top. It was an elk, the only elk I have seen in 4 days hunting. My tag was for a cow with a Muzzleloader so I was not picky, she would do. I watched her go back away from the ledge and I made a run for it. I get to the top and she is 200 yards away. I was stuck! Ya I can shoot my rifle that far but I didn't want to wound her so I waited. Soon she looks my way. So I put my hands beside my head like a set of ears. I raised up so she can see me and then I lower back down. Here she comes. I got ready behind the only brush between her and me. I put my rifle on my shooting sticks took off the safety's and waited for her to step into the open.
When she stepped out I let her have one of my paper patched 500 S&W bullets. I have wanted to take out an adult elk with my 500 S&W bullets for some time. Last year I shot a calf but I wanted to test them on a big elk. The shot was quartering to me. The bullet hit her on the point of the shoulder. I found it in the flank. After the shot she ran about 50 to 75 yards. She wobbled and went down. The sound of these bullets hitting game is more like the sound you hear when an 06 hits them. It is a loud WHOMP!!!
I didn't have my camera so I took pictures with my phone.
You can see in the first picture she was shot last year and survived. I guess the guy didn't have a load that was as stout as mine.
Ron

[Image: Cow1_zpsf0990bce.jpg]

[Image: Cow2_zpsdfa93b41.jpg]

[Image: Cow4_zpsb1a1b180.jpg]

[Image: Cow6_zpsc8e80ff5.jpg]
[signature]
That's fantastic! Congrats! Crazy she took a shot in that spot and lived. I bet that was one Confused hunter that day. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Congratulations , that looks delishes .
[signature]
Way cool Ron! You are the muzzleloader guru for sure.
[signature]
Way to go ron! Now, if only you had shot her from your toon I would be impressed[Wink]
[signature]
[quote elkmagnet] Now, if only you had shot her from your toon I would be impressed[Wink][/quote]

LOL that there's funny!

Gongrats Ron, she looks tasty!
[signature]