Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard report 09-16-13
I've been fishing the mornings at Willard all Summer, so I thought I'd try the evening bite to see if it was better. Well it was ok but not better, at least not yet. Water temp was 74* and there was little to no wind. Saw a few baby shad breaking the surface here and there but no boils and little to no diving birds. Fished from 4pm till 7:30pm. Trolled the Openness and did not get a hit until I got to the West side, when all hell broke out with the biggest wiper I've caught since Spring. The fish made four or five strong reel screaming runs and measured 23 inches, likely between 4 and 5 lbs. After releasing the fish I headed toward the Island, where I picked up a nice crappie, 11 inches or so but that was it for the evening. Launched at the North marina.
WH2
[signature]
Now thats a wiper!!! How are the depths around the lake/marina???
[signature]
Thanks for the CPR...
[signature]
Nice fish, way to go Curt. Later J
[signature]
What a brute! well done!
[signature]
[#502800]Nice fish ....... That one looks to be 90% Striper and 10% White Bass.[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[#502800]Did you see any tubers/tooners north of freeway bay after the crappie?[/#502800]
[signature]
I'd say the average depth is 10 ft, a little deeper toward the North end and a lot more shallow toward the South dike. The marina is 5 to 6 ft deep with that little hump at just under 4 ft as you are going out the channel to the bay.
[signature]
I did not notice anyone in a toon or tube around Freeway bay or anywhere on the lake for that matter. Why, were you out there?
[signature]
TD is not in town[Wink]
[signature]
Curt,

Dayom man, at's a nice fish! It's glad I didn't catch it, I'll tell ya that 'cause I'da et the cuss.
[signature]
Where is the words "wave or BWO" for the Utah Bass comp? Man free gear for just catching a taking a pic of the fish? Sounds great to me. Must have something against free stuff!

All kidding aside that sure is a nice fish. 10 feet of water[shocked] man that place is gonna become like Utah Lake soon!
[signature]
[#502800]No, but I need to get down there.[/#502800]
[signature]
Actually, I never even thought about it but I did enter the LLO contest. For some reason I figured Wipers did not count on the other bass contest[crazy]. You know you should help John promote the Bass comp. I think the more members are reminded about the different contest that are running on BFT the more likely it will be they will enter. I think I'll start taking a sticker with BWO on it from now on, thanks for the reminder.
[signature]
Well done Curt. Very nice fish. The wipers should be boiling all afternoon this time of year? Maybe to Many have been taken out . Hope it doesn't get to much lower or there may be massive winter kill. it could still happen with that depth.
[signature]
I think the main reason for the lack of boils this year is the wipers are having a hard time locating the shad. They normally attack the shad on the surface from below but when they can hardly see a foot and the shad and fewer in number it is tough. In normal years, with clearer water, even with the fewer shad, they would be boiling just about every day this time of the year. I don't think the wiper numbers are down that much, although there are fewer of the big ones, there still are plenty of the smaller 12 to 16 inch wipers. I remember in years past(10 yrs ago), the water was lower than it is this year, so I think it will be ok, unless we have a really cold Winter. I guess we will see what happens.
[signature]
Thanks for the report.
[signature]
fuel filter looks good!!! Nice wiper!
[signature]
Nice wiper and post! Seeing your fuel filter reminded me that I need to get one too.
[signature]
LOL, it's funny you two noticed that fuel filter. I never use to use a filter on my kicker motor until last year, when I decided to put one on my main motor on my old boat because I had a carb issue and wanted to make sure the gas from my tank wasn't the reason. I decided to put on my kicker for the same reason or just to be on the safe side. One thing I found out as a secondary benefit of putting the filter on, I can tell when my kicker is running low on fuel and is getting ready to die. I always though the reason the kicker would die after running it for a few hours was the carbon was building up on the spark plugs and fouling them causing it to die. I would just reel my lines in and run it at full throttle for a while to help clean the plugs. Now I know that wasn't the problem and the cause is the motor was running out of fuel, so I just squeeze the primer bulb now and keep an eye on that clear filter to make sure the fuel isn't running low. [Smile]
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Actually, I never even thought about it but I did enter the LLO contest. For some reason I figured Wipers did not count on the other bass contest[crazy]. You know you should help John promote the Bass comp. I think the more members are reminded about the different contest that are running on BFT the more likely it will be they will enter. I think I'll start taking a sticker with BWO on it from now on, thanks for the reminder.[/quote]

LLO? Tried the link but it failed to download for me.

Anyway I think the original word was WAVE after wave tackle. I think the word BWO was accpeted as well since some of the fly comp guys were getting into bass.

I did PM john when he needed comments on his contest. I think the hardest part of his contest is that there are many bass anglers in Utah but a lot of them do tournaments that have big purses, run for like a day, etc. I also ran into him at the RAC meeting just the other night.

Still it cannot be that hard to take a piece of paper with the word WAVE on it and get free stuff.

When he first created the contest I thought he would get more interest than my fly comp. Looks like the catfish contest and the ice fishing contest still rein supreme!

I had a thought, what if a locked thread were up at the top of the general fishing section that was entitled " Utah Fishing Contests" and in it there would be links to each current contest. I know I made the Utah Fly Contest a registration date sitituation so that might not help mine but.....just a thought. Then again you don't need the 1st three threads on the board to be "non fun" informational stuff.

Thanks WH2 for listening to random TDT therory!
[signature]