Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek 9/19/13
arrived at the lake bright and early about 1pm. air was still, sky was clear, water was wet. after going BACK into Midway to get change for a 20 to pay the day fee at Island marina, I launched my yak and paddled toward the peninsula formerly known as the island. man is the water down at this place! have no idea on depths or temps this was more of a test run for the yak than anything. as i paddled past the wakeless buoy my stick went bendo and fish on. I got it about 4 or 5 feet from the yak just past my arms reach to grab it when it politely gave me back my hook, I did see it and it was a trout in the 20 inch range if i had to guess. I re cast and began slowly paddling to the point of the island area to head north. had several more bumps and hits, maybe 10 to 15, but not another serious eater all day, they were tasting only, stupid fish must be on a diet and didnt want all the high protein and natural fats i was offering. past the island I began to head out toward middle of lake to see if anyone was home on the deep dropoffs which were probably only 30 feet down at this point. oh well.
the big W came up about 4pm and the white caps scared me back towards shore and into the marina at 4:45. I went by the bridge n inlet area on my way out, water is flowing pretty good, but the charleston day use area is high and dry with maybe 3/4 mile to waters edge from the day use there...

my yak still floats, and I didnt get any more wet than I expected. it was better than a good day working so Ill take it.

time to outfit my yak with rod holders and some PVC dude inspired technology.
laters,

Fish
[signature]
Thanks for the report and the update to the conditions there.
[signature]