Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIG CATS
I am ready to discuss some strategies for big cats. I live in corinne and the bear flows just about a hundred yards from my kitchen window. Heres my problem, the local kids travel through my yard to get to the fishing hole out back of the house. So they also come through when they are done. This is fine with me except that they always catch bigger fish than I do! I am not very expierienced in fishing cats so I clearly need help. If you doubt this, the kid that lives kitty corner from me consistently pulls cats in the twenty six to thirty inch range out of the same spot that I can only catch eight inchers. I have had good looks at his rig up as he stops and talks with me on his way to his house with his prize. Nothing seems to be super special, or even out of the ordinary. There are lots of people that fish this hole and it still produces good fish. I know of several spots that never get fished, hold lots of fish, and probably hold some whopper size fish. This does me no good seeing as how I can only snag the little ones. <br>I also hear that utah lake has good cats in it but have no information on where or how to catch them. I know theres a few guys here who fish utah lake, maybee you could help us uneducated cat wannabe's. <br>As a note, anyone who wants to try the fishing out back of the house is welcome as long as you are not a noisy litterbug. If you have my disease you will only catch little buggers.<br><br>
Isn't it always the case with us fisherman? You live right next to one of the best catfishing waters in Utah and you want information on how to catch cats at Utah Lake. I suggest you get the neighbor boy to let you tag along and learn how he does it. Last year was my first experience in catching cats. I had a guy show me how and where to catch them at Utah Lake. The largest we caught were about 3 1/2 pounds, so now I am ready to go back and try to catch some much larger ones. <br><br>
Thats funny kent, but how true. I really should put in some serious effort out in the back yard but with my failure out there and stories of huge cats on utah lake theres this inkling of hope that I may just get lucky on utah lake without having to put in any real effort. Not very practical in the area of gas mileage huh? I would fish with this kid but he fishes in the summer while hes off school and hes just coming back from a mornings fishing when I get home from work ( i work graveyard) excuses excuses, I know. I just must not be that commited. <br><br>
Hey my name is rick i usually dont get on bft until late spring but I occationally get on to keep the excitement up and i see that you are interested in catching a big cat
I am a avid cat chaser I would be glad to share some secrets if you could clue me in on where abouts you live
i would love to fish a river for cats I usually fish willard
for cats reason why it is the closest to my house. i try to
get down to utah lake at least twice a year because of gas prices so if you would be intrested i would be glad to try the bear and share a few secrets[Smile]
[signature]
Just a couple of thoughts. Have you tried carp meat or chicken liver? The stinker the better. Let them rot in the sun awhile. Even try putting a big gob of night crawlers on a hook and put it under a can in the warm sun until it is ripe, not crispy, just stinks to high heaven, then go get em!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]You should try fresh cut bait. The fresher, the better! Try some whitebass, perch, or carp. [/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Welcome to the site Rick, it's interesting you brought up one of the first post from when this site was just getting started in Utah. For a lot of us it is hard to believe it has only been a little over 4 years ago when Mike found this site and brought it to our attention. Those of us that know Predator, know he has moved on to other fish and I believe he spends a lot of his time chasing bass now. WH2
[signature]
I have had the same problem as you are discribing, when I fish the Bear. Looking back now I think that I don't wait long enough before I set the hook. I have been told to open the bail and let the fish swim away with the bait. I have never tried this. Have you? I also catch plenty of smaller fish but not the biger ones. I wonder if waiting to set is part of the answer?
[signature]
I think the silly Mike just wants to show off his pretty boat to the kitty chasers at Bird Island!

I've got a cousin that takes his duck boat on the Bear near Corrine and does quite well for bigger kitties. I need to get him to take me, then I can key you in on some of his tactics.
[signature]
when it comes to catching BIG cats in utah, i only fish a few spots... willard is absolutly out of the question. i have never caught a cat over 7lbs out of willard. i have fished it more than 20 nights, nope never again. i prefer to fish sloughs, marshes and really slow rivers with big holes. the bear is home to some monster cats!! but you gotta know where to fish it. my biggest cat from ut has come from the bear, and she was just under 20. i also got a dandy 15lber from a spot i call the windmills... wich is one of my favorite spots south of slc. no doubt utah lake has some big cats but i live in ogden so thats only a weekend thing, and why drive for almost an hour when i can fish 15 minutes from my home with more large fish?? when i comes to baits i stick to only a few basics, whole baby carp 3 to 4 inches ( dead of course), carp meat slabs that are the same length, and the 6inch chubs cut in half. or whole doesnt matter. half puts out more stank... i dont mess with the chicken livers, or the stink baits too messy and they dont work that well. but in the spring shrimp is also a good bet. i use my two pole permit, and 2 really heavy bait casters 7 1\2 ft. all spooled with 17lb flourocarbon. 0\2 octopuss hooks a half ounce of wieght, hooked in a sliding sinker rig, or dropper rig ( depends on current conditons) and thats it!! the key is timing and area, for me anyway alot of the time i will fish in a riffle about 50 feet upstream from a really big deep hole those big kitties move often times into less than a foot and a half of water!! anyway i could talk for hours but i wont...any questions on speciific locations pm me..
JOE aka utcatman
[signature]
Maybe you just need to use a technique you are more familiar with. By far my best catfish last season was caught at Utah Lake on a spinnerbait while I was targeting eyes and LMB.
[signature]
where at willard i havnt caught anything to bragg about there and ive heard people say they have caught some good cats there i was also heard and at sportmans in riverdale they have a pic of somone catching a 15 lbs. out of the weber any info would help and places
[signature]
yea... i saw that nice kitty from the weber at sportsmans.. my guesss is gonna be the slow slough area right above echo i have caught some decent cats right where it comes in. or maybe it could have come down near the freeway here in ogden, u have heard rumors of cats down there but never seen one. and there is always a guy that fishes down there above the diverson dam on 17th st. with a rod in the water and he says he is fishn for cats but ive never seen him catch one. im am kinda curious tho...
[signature]
so where did you get the monster in the pic ???
[signature]
So wimphunter I dont think I was talking to you I was talking to predator sorry if i hurt your feelings but i dont appreciate you making me feel unwelcome here i wanted to offer some help thank you very much
if you dont like what post comes back up no matter how old it is dont read into it and for anyone else that is interested in talking about fishin for cats let me no
there are still some nice cats out in willard i have seen them not in a way i really like to remember Snap
but deffinently theres not as many like there used to be
[signature]
Are you delusional man? Where in WH2's post did he say anything rude towards you? I think your the one with the sensitive feelings . Lighten up dude!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to the board, but you need to lighten up. WH2's response was not a personal attack, but a suggestion that perhaps Predator might no longer have the same interest in kitties. There have been a lot of changes in his fishing agenda since that original post, and in his relationship with BFT.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We appreciate your willingness to contribute good info, even if it is to past threads. That is one of the great things about our board is that we keep the old stuff and even have special archive sections for some of the more popular waters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I agree that there are still some decent cats in Willard, but no serious cat chaser would disagree that the situation is very different than in the "olden days". I used to count on taking quite a few cats over ten pounds out of Willard every year, and got more than a few in the 15 plus category. These days a cat over 5 pounds from Willard is newsworthy. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hopefully, with the higher water levels once again submerging the rocks and creating spawning habitat for all species, the cats will increase both in numbers and size.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Catman; you know what your talking about to catch big cats. Been there done that ; with the fresh bait; the bigger ones bite better.
My favorite spot is on a diversion cannel off of the Bear River west of Brigham City.

#######################

If you know; Talk about it; If not; Shut Up!![shocked]
[signature]
I would like to appolagize for that wh2 I guess i took what you said wrong. So any one tried cat fishing in the bird refugee below hooper
[signature]
i actually got that toad out of utah lake she was around 13lbs big and thick.... doesnt look it but it was... for sure.. i actuallly caugght her on memorial day.. during a storm... and the funny thing was it was actually caught on the boat ramp at provo harbor. the lake was too chopppy to fish. but hey i caught a toad... i was so suprised....
Joe
[signature]