Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Big Cat
Caught this 33 incher last night... actually, this morning at about 2 a.m. Caught this one and a couple of 26 inchers. Didn't get a weight on the biggest 'cause I pooped him out taking pictures and needed to get him back in the water asap. Beautiful night, no wind, good half moon appeared about midnight, lots of geese complaining, and a couple of coyotes stirring up the farmers dogs. The skeeters have always considered my A negative blood as a special treat and I had to dope up with Off to avoid a blood draw down.

Traffic on the water was low as there were no other fools out and about that late at night. A couple of Ut. Co. Sheriffs threw a spot light on me to see if I was in trouble just after 1 a.m.... not sure if they really believed me when I told them I was okay??.

I was trolling a 4 inch white bass behind my boat using the lowest speed on my electric in 2-4 feet of water. They really put up a tussle when I hooked them. They did not like my head-lamp and they would make a long run every time I turned it on. Lost one big one just before I could see him that felt like a dandy.

Hope the weather holds so I can get out again for a night shift.
Fun.

BLK
[signature]
You are one dedicated angler. Congrats on your efforts paying off.
[signature]
thats a pig of a cat
[signature]
Great catch! Night fishing on Utah Lake can pay off. So does this put the south ahead?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Very nice. As far as weight goes it will likely be around 13 -14 pounds. I got one a couple of years ago that was 32 inches and weighed just over 12.

Fishing for the big cats should get better when the water temp cools a bit. I generally get my biggest cats of the year from now until early November.

But if the walleyes get busy I'm liable to leave the kitties for you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice cat. I headed down to Lindon this morning, but nothing special. It was slow and cold. Ended up with just 2 average sized cats and 2 White bass. I had something on that felt huge while using a spinner. I'm guessing it was just a snagged carp.

Hey TD, do you change up your tactics at all in the cooler weather. It seems like the last few weeks have slowed wayyy down for me.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I fish pretty much the same but often have to cover more area to find fewer fish. When the water cools and the winds blow the fish scatter more...and seek out some deeper water between feeding periods.

But if you can time your trips for a calm day after two or three other relatively calm days you can sometimes get into some faster fall action...and some bigger fish.

This extreme low water always changes up the fishing. And the lower the water temps get the better the fishing later in the day...or into the night. Utah Lake is shallow and both warms and cools more quickly than deeper lakes. So a cold night will drop the temps a few degrees and a warm day will bring them up for tender kitties. The downside to going out later is that is usually when the wind blows most. Just cain't have it both ways.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
So here is my question:
Is it a Cat Fishing Contest or is it a Catfish Fishing Contest?
If it is a Cat Fishing Contest I will be glad to donate some kitties that are harassing my pheasants.
(Sorry, I had to do it).
[signature]
Wow and I thought I stayed up late some nights. Nice report thanks!
[signature]
Considering I have insomia, I might as well try some time [Wink] Nothings as fun as catching cats late at night, especially huge ones. I don't know why but my favorite part of catfishing is the element of surprise. Its cool to think something swimming in that water after dark.
[signature]

Thanks for the posts and comments. I think I really hit it just right last night/morning. Wish I could have stayed out longer but I really needed a few big Zs after about 2:30 or so. It does help to be retired and not have to worry about the demands of employment. Can't wait to get back out but this blasted wind pretty much shuts down Ut. Lake for me. Looks like the next fishable day will be about Friday.

I think the south is still lagging a bit behind the north in the contest. The last tally Yote completed on 9-11 showed the northern guys up by 5 or 6 points. I expect a couple of those northern guys to post up some big ones this week. Still a few days left so maybe we can catch them down the stretch.

BLK
[signature]
I guess I got some work to do! You shore like keeping me busy! You've obviously been busy too!

I gotta get at least one more stab at the kitties! Still need to get on that 30+ club!

Well done. I'll try to get the graphs reposted.
We should start a picture page called the 30+ club and just have pictures of the 30+ hawgs! I'm still pullin for ya boatload you can get er done!
[signature]