Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
waterfowl question
I am still fairly new in the waterfowl hunting scene. This year will be only my 3rd season. I have heard a lot of hype from people in regards to using face paint while out in the blind. I am wondering if anyone on here has a solid opinion on the pros and cons of doing so. The reason why I post this question is because while hunting on salt creek last year I had myself well concealed in a patch of grass while the birds were circling my decoys. Every time I would lift my head up the birds would instantly flush and take off out of range and I don't know if this is because of the movement I was making in the blind. I wonder if I would be better off painting my face to break up the color and outline so that way I can look straight ahead while the birds are decoying in. Thanks for any advice you can share. Chris
[signature]
I never paint my face and don't have a problem decoying birds in close because I don't move when they're coming and I hide in the shade and not the sun.

Movement is the first thing that will spook birds, the next is your shiny face looking up at them. Keep your head down and behind your hat brim and you'll be just fine!
[signature]
I usually use a camo face mask instead of the paint. The reason for this is it keeps bugs out of your face and there will not be a gleaming white face. Always set up with your back towards the sun to, that usually helps. The face masks are really cheap get the netted (screen) face masks. I have used the face paint it works great to break up your face but then again I hate the grease paint mess on my face, I got enough of that at boot camp. Movement will almost always spook birds. Birds see eight times better than we do , so stay still and you will shoot more birds.
[signature]
oh but painting your face makes you look cool!!!! hahahaha The most important thing is movement!!! hold still and stop calling on final approach let the decoys do their job!! And of course the most important piece of camouflage is a hat!!!!
[signature]