Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chukar Opener?
Anyone else heading out tomorrow to chase the little devils. Looks like my opener trip is a solo one. More than happy to have someone join me, or meet up with someone else. Little late notice, but let me know if anyone wants to hunt together in the morning.
[signature]
Numerous scratches, bruises, blisters, and dings on my gun later... I went home with dinner. Saw a ton of birds this morning, and they were very vocal early, but will be getting educated very quickly here soon. Tough hunting these devils alone though. Not sure why I love this hunt so much, but I do.
[signature]
Good job! Thems the tastiest birds. Wish I knew where to find em.
[signature]
Thanks. Oh I know where to find 'em. Just not many are willing to put in the effort it takes to get them. I talked to plenty of hunters this morning who had not seen a bird. I probably saw at least 100 different birds. A couple nice big coveys of 35-40. One I chased back and forth across a canyon until they went low enough that I had to draw the line. Still had a hell of a hike back up to the truck.
[signature]
Nice job on getting into some birds. They can be in some nasty places. I've been down that way a time or two, and can attest that it sure can be brutal work finding them little buggars.

We went north this morning and drew a blank. Put some serious miles on the boots, but no luck. This is the first time in a long time we haven't at least found a few birds to chase. Oh well, still a great morning to be out.
[signature]
That's not what I wanted to hear. I have been trying to work a hun/chukar trip into my schedule for a couple years now. I wanted you to tell me the birds were all over up north.
I actually hadn't decided where I was going to hunt even as I left my house. I seriously hit McDonalds for a coffee, and flipped quarter to decide between the heavily hunted hill I went to with a ton a birds, or a less know area I would have had most likely to myself with birds, but not near the numbers. As you said, I guess I should be glad I got into them.
[signature]
Wish I had seen this earlier, I would have loved to go out with you! I've spent a few january days out near fish springs looking for the devils, never seen one yet!

Congrats on the birds though, those are by far the hardest birds to hunt i've ever seen!
[signature]
Don't feel too bad. I didn't harvest a chukar until my 3rd season I believe. This first year I tried, I went out a few different days, and don't think I saw a bird. The next year I put in much more effort, and research on how to hunt the little buggers. I started getting into the areas to find them, but usually watching them run up the hill ahead of me and flushing out of range. I may have shot a couple times at birds that second season. Then, on the opener of that third season I harvested my first chukar. I spent countless hours and miles to earn that bird. I think this is why I enjoy this hunt so much, you feel that you earn every bird that comes to hand. There isn't any such thing as a lazy chukar hunter in my mind, well at least not a successful one. I did talk to a few guys cruising around on ATV's yesterday, but they hadn't seen any birds[crazy]
Also, you would be welcome to join me on a future trip. I already extended that offer/invite to another member who sent me a PM. I am always looking for people to hunt the hills with. Most people I take don't end up going too many more times. I guess chukar hills are not for everyone.
[signature]
I appreciate the invite and I'll gladly take you up on it some time!

And yes, chuckar hills are certainly not for everyone, there's no such thing as a dike hunter in the upland world, gotta put on the miles!
[signature]
Wish I could still climb those hills for the chucker, I have hunted that area you were in years ago and it was nasty with alot of loose shale if I remember right. We use to tie it in with the pheasant hunt they held to the East of there every year. I had a German Shorthair then and he was a bird hunting fool. I mainly hunted the Howell Valley area and around Snowville for the chuker, I preferred hunting after the snow flew and would hunt to the end of the season. You may want to take your scattergun to WY. deer hunting, the pheasant hunt opens 1st Sat in Nov. The duck hunting can be fantastic as well, I'll be taking my little Britt along with me again this year as she loves to hunt the pheasant. Our antelope hunt is just around the corner and the wife and I are looking forward to it.
[signature]
Good luck with the speed goats, let me know how that goes. I am really looking forward to that deer hunt. I have been putting in countless hours with research and phone calls to land owners. Hopefully it pays off. I wouldn't be bringing my dogs up there. In your opinion could a guy get on some birds without them, and also are there many on public land or the walk-in areas? I wouldn't mind a little wing shooting to add to the adventure.
[signature]
Stop at one of the sporting good shops along the way, we usually stop at the big one in Riverton it's maybe halfway thru town on the right hand side, there is usually plenty of parking if you are pulling a trailer. They should have the books that show all of the walk in areas by county and there is no charge for these. They will show what can be hunted on these properties, a few of them allow pheasant hunting. I have killed pheasants before with out a dog, the ducks we jump shoot and in the past I have done very well on the honkers but we lost some of the property we use to hunt the geese on due to a change in ownership and being leased out. One thing you might want to check on is if you need a special stamp to hunt pheasants on the walk in properties it seems to me like you do. I hunt some friend's ground that are not in the walk in program so I don't need the special stamp for pheasants.
[signature]